Bonding young boar with sows today - is he very fear aggressive?

emmyk89

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a 3 month old neutered boar that I picked up last week - I'm in the UK but the owner is a vet who does the neutering herself at 6 weeks old or so (which I'm aware isn't routinely done here but is in Germany etc) unfortunately she is a breeder for showing but I didn't know untill I went there, and I also didn't know he was only that young.

Anyhow, he had 2 cage mates, his brother and father, hasn't been with a sow before. I did a post last weekend about a failed bonding from my fear aggressive sow. Since then he has been living side by side with a different sow Peanut - who did seem to nip at him a bit through the bars but neither showed really territorial behaviours like lying at the bars. He rumbled strutted a lot less than he did when he was side by side with the sows he failed with last week.

We put him and Peanut in the pen, and Peanut is quite a submissive pig - in her trio she was the bottom pig, so I had read she may be fairly dominant especially with a baby too.
They were in the pen not even 5 minutes when he didn't take kindly to her mild dominance and high pitched complaining, he was chattering, rumble strutting, facing her head on etc. She tried to chase him a bit - not biting etc which riled him up more and he lunged at her, like flying through mid air lunge at her! Finally after that, she ended up chasing him, pulled some rump fur out and he flew at her again, scratching her nose in the process. All this last bit happened very quickly so ofc at the point they were separated. Her nose is fine it's definitely not a bite as it looks very superficial and straight like a papercut and he does have very short sharp claws, I feel awful as she was squeaking a little and moving her head about like she was in pain, it made cry. Anyway she's OK now.

Why is he doing this to a generally submissive pig? All she did was sort of tell him off I.e complaining squeaks, for getting too close to her bum and his quite strong rumble strutting but he reacted very aggressively to this. Is this fear aggression? Could this have come about from the negative bonding last weekend with fear aggressive scoot who tackled him at the time? Or are they generally fear aggressive as a personality?

After peanuts failed bonding and a break. He's now in with my other sow Yeti, who was middle pig in the trio.
They have been together now for maybe an hour and its very different. At first he was fearful and did some rumble strutting, chattering and ran away from her, Yeti then basically left him alone, ate hay, moved generally slowly and has been friendly with him except the usual (I think) dominance behaviours like chasing, no biting, some mild chattering. They've also slept very close to each other and they have both groomed themselves while in the pen. His reactions so far have just been 1 flying lunge at the very start where Yeti and he both chattered a bit after it then went their separate ways to eat. I've seen him almost do another and stopped himself but that has calmed down now too and haven't seen his fear aggression for a while. He's just been rumble strutting a bit which Yeti isn't too accepting of yet, complaining at him when he does it.

I don't fully trust him yet to not act aggressively and try them in a cage, but he seems OK as does Yeti. Does this sound promising with Yeti? How long should I leave them in the pen for today?

He did another flying lunge thing. He was rumbling at her, she didn't like it, so chased him, they had a high pitched squeal and chatter at each other which resulted in him flying at her, I don't think he pulled fur out. Yeti then left him alone.

These jumps are bizzare I have never seen a pig do this!? He manages to fly way off the ground! What is this!?

I don’t have experience of bonding sows. When I have bonded boars in the past I’ve left them in the bonding pen overnight just to be totally sure they are ok. Good luck. I hope Yeti is the one. 🤞🏻

I have no experience with sows or mixed pairs but I wonder if it's to do with his age? At 6 months old he is a stroppy teenager even though he's neutered. I wish you luck 🤞.

He did another flying lunge thing. He was rumbling at her, she didn't like it, so chased him, they had a high pitched squeal and chatter at each other which resulted in him flying at her, I don't think he pulled fur out. Yeti then left him alone.

These jumps are bizzare I have never seen a pig do this!? He manages to fly way off the ground! What is this!?

Hi

Please abort the bonding and separate. It's not working out.

Your girl has taken a strong dislike to your boy (a mouthful of fur is the sow equivalent of a boar bite) and flying tackles are the extreme of a defensive 'stay away from me' response.

I'm very sorry. Your girl is not going to change her mind; once sows have made up their mind, they are going to stick with it. She simply doesn' want him in her territory. :(

Hi

Please abort the bonding and separate. It's not working out.

Your girl has taken a strong dislike to your boy (a mouthful of fur is the sow equivalent of a boar bite) and flying tackles are the extreme of a defensive 'stay away from me' response.

I'm very sorry. Your girl is not going to change her mind; once sows have made up their mind, they are going to stick with it. She simply doesn' want him in her territory. :(
Hi.

I think maybe there's some confusion with my post- Yeti isn't pulling any fur out of him and he isn't with her. It was Peanut & him only, bonding initially who have been separated. Now he's with Yeti only and they haven't done any fur pulling. It's the boar with the strange lunge reaction,

Thanks

Hi.

I think maybe there's some confusion with my post- Yeti isn't pulling any fur out of him and he isn't with her. It was Peanut & him only, bonding initially who have been separated. Now he's with Yeti only and they haven't done any fur pulling. It's the boar with the strange lunge reaction,

Thanks

Thanks, it can happen with skimming longer posts.

As long as there is no major aggression, you can persist but I would give it a break if he starts going on overload and becoming very defensive again. The shock from a failed bonding can sit deep.

With mixed genders and sows-only bonds you can resume a bonding some days later again when trying to bond a fear-aggressive piggy in order to allow them to settle down. This does however only work as long as the companion is still on board.

Thanks, yeh my posts tend to be fairly long haha.

Does he sound like he's a bit fear aggressive reacting this way (to 2 completely different sows, not in at the same time) it seems he only did the flying lunge thing to when either of the sows did their "complaining" noise. Maybe he doesn't know what it is if he's never lived with sows before and he's only 3 months old too?

Update: so lenny and Yeti have been together overnight and they still seem overall fine. I think they're just doing the usual dominance phase behaviours, but just wanted to check:

1. My main worry- Whenever lenny does any rumble strutting close to Yeti she will whine at him, she may do a nose off and usually chase him off. He usually runs away and he occasionally chatters if she chased him a bit too much for his liking. She doesn't ever chatter back. She has pulled a little bit of fur out on occasion on these chases. Wanted to say that her previous husboar used to do this to her maybe about once a week so she may have learnt that from him as a normal "telling off" behaviour.

2. Yeti whines at him sometimes when lenny isn't even rumble strutting around, example when he gets in a bed she has just got out of and she possibly wants it back. Note there are 2 beds and a fabric tunnel that only lenny can fit inside - I beleive lenny is testing Yeti when he gets in a bed she has just got out of because there are others he could use.

3. When I sprinkle food in around the cage, lenny usually tries to eat from where Yeti is eating/close to her. Sometimes she whines/noses off and then they stay very still for a minute, heads raised just a little and Yeti whining. After that, Sometimes they get back to eating and other times she may lunge towards him and he runs off.

In between these, they eat hay close together and far apart, sleep sometimes close together(like Yeti in a bed and lenny behind the bed) and sometimes at other end of the cages and I've seen them groom themselves. Nobody is incessantly hounding either, just my main worry is number one, it feels this relationship is still quite precarious?

That submissive whining can sound really distressing. Mischievous Master Boris is a real whiner. I think it sounds like it's going well.
Thanks.

I don't think it's the usual submissive sound? I managed to record her here
at about 20 seconds in, this is the noise she does regularly at him when he starts rumble strutting near her, and about a half of the time, results in a chase or a slight lunge at him. What is this sound? I thought it was "complaining", you'll need volume high! Lenny is difficult to see as he's mostly black but has orange all round his head.

She used to do that sound alot to her ex busboar when he was pestering her or he was close by, never chased him off though.

Ive seen Yeti groom lenny a few times now, on his ears/side or his head. He seems to get possibly a bit nervous at a certain point and kind of lifts his head up fast, so does she then they have a minor nose off, no chasing.

And managed to record Yeti grooming him and her complaining at him during it, with him then nosing up after about 5 secs

Update, they have seemed fine all yesterday. I'm at work at the moment and had the camera on and caught him doing a fly at her - why is he doing this? Is it aggressive or more defensive as he may feel scared in the corner?
It's about 40 secs in and there's no sound. But he's rumbling about and Yeti is most likely doing her complaining and nipped at him, which seemed to set him off. They were sleeping again after this- Yeti in a bed and he in the tunnel.

Couldn't edit post: is this normal? I have only ever seen scoot do this to another pig. It worries me :(

I’m not an expert at all but to me it seems like things were getting a bit tense and then when he felt trapped into the corner he felt he needed to be defensive. I hope things continue to settle down though bonding is always a very stressful time! :)

I’m not an expert at all but to me it seems like things were getting a bit tense and then when he felt trapped into the corner he felt he needed to be defensive. I hope things continue to settle down though bonding is always a very stressful time! :)
Thanks, yeh its so so stressful it's all I have thought about for the last 3 days lol.

it's silly- he put himself in that position lol After that video, they slept near to each other again. They were eating, then I Caught him do it again a bit later, then they went back eating, he popcorned, she did a little popcorn then they groomed next to each other. Now they're sleeping close to each other (her in the bed, him behind it). I have also seen him oust her from a bed but rumbling at her etc, she jumped out then he got in.

I just feel bad for Yeti, she's 3 so not a youngster anymore and I know he has little sharp claws that can scratch easily.

He looks to be asserting he's the dominant one? And Yeti is putting up a bit of resistance? It's all him doing all the rumble strutting and Yeti seems to not like it so she gets a little whiney, which occasionally makes him lunge like that, the little bugger.

Photo is them now sleeping

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123-101459_Victure Home.webp
    Screenshot_20240123-101459_Victure Home.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 1
Update: so lenny and Yeti have been together overnight and they still seem overall fine. I think they're just doing the usual dominance phase behaviours, but just wanted to check:

1. My main worry- Whenever lenny does any rumble strutting close to Yeti she will whine at him, she may do a nose off and usually chase him off. He usually runs away and he occasionally chatters if she chased him a bit too much for his liking. She doesn't ever chatter back. She has pulled a little bit of fur out on occasion on these chases. Wanted to say that her previous husboar used to do this to her maybe about once a week so she may have learnt that from him as a normal "telling off" behaviour.

2. Yeti whines at him sometimes when lenny isn't even rumble strutting around, example when he gets in a bed she has just got out of and she possibly wants it back. Note there are 2 beds and a fabric tunnel that only lenny can fit inside - I beleive lenny is testing Yeti when he gets in a bed she has just got out of because there are others he could use.

3. When I sprinkle food in around the cage, lenny usually tries to eat from where Yeti is eating/close to her. Sometimes she whines/noses off and then they stay very still for a minute, heads raised just a little and Yeti whining. After that, Sometimes they get back to eating and other times she may lunge towards him and he runs off.

In between these, they eat hay close together and far apart, sleep sometimes close together(like Yeti in a bed and lenny behind the bed) and sometimes at other end of the cages and I've seen them groom themselves. Nobody is incessantly hounding either, just my main worry is number one, it feels this relationship is still quite precarious?

If a sow whines at a boar, you are generally fine. She is not in season but has accepted him.

The rest is normal, very mild dominance behaviour as they go through the normal group establishment protocol, which takes around 2 weeks. The mutual grooming is a reassurance that they want to be together and that what you see is just the protocol.

It sounds like it is going to be a rather happy bond once they are past the dominance phase and their first shared season sometime during that time, which may be on the more dramatic side but in mixed bondings, the shared experience with plenty of pheromones and emotions helps to cement the bond, so you just have to sit it out. No piggy will come to any harm. ;)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

I've got a boar pair but have seen similar behaviours in mine. These have definitely decreased in frequency as they get older and are more often followed by popcorns from both. I used to be on edge constantly when they did it. It seems to happen when Sir George is having a bit of a humpy day.

If a sow whines at a boar, you are generally fine. She is not in season but has accepted him.

The rest is normal, very mild dominance behaviour as they go through the normal group establishment protocol, which takes around 2 weeks. The mutual grooming is a reassurance that they want to be together and that what you see is just the protocol.

It sounds like it is going to be a rather happy bond once they are past the dominance phase and their first shared season sometime during that time, which may be on the more dramatic side but in mixed bondings, the shared experience with plenty of pheromones and emotions helps to cement the bond, so you just have to sit it out. No piggy will come to any harm. ;)
Oh man, thanks Wiebke I'm so relieved you replied and said this :)

Thanks so much to everyone for their input :)

I have just seen him popcorning around the cage hehe

I've got a boar pair but have seen similar behaviours in mine. These have definitely decreased in frequency as they get older and are more often followed by popcorns from both. I used to be on edge constantly when they did it. It seems to happen when Sir George is having a bit of a humpy day.
Thanks, it's reassuring to know it can be normal boar behaviour. I have had 5 boars in total in my lifetime and this is the first one I've seen fly haha

I'm very lucky. My beastie boys seem to have a rather chilled relationship for the most part. Dignified Sir George is a very laid back dominant and they are both very affectionate with us hoomans. Mischievous Master Boris will not just tolerate but actually ask for chin rubs now ❤️

@Wiebke sorry I forgot to ask - is his flying lunge thing in the video ok/mild etc? He has done it occasionally since they first met.

Back