bonding with rescues?

• Thread starter Thread starter chi_and_lattes_mom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chi_and_lattes_mom

so how do i go about bonding with 2 rescues? I've only been a guinea pig owner for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours and i'm trying to let them get settled in. What should i do to try and bond with them. I read in my care sheet that they are social animals that can bond really well, so how do i do that? what treats should i give? thanks in advance. :-\

Congratulations! I would let them settle in overnight. The main thing is to talk to them softly so they get to know you, no sudden movements by their cage etc Give them veggie treats...anything in the shopping list under the food section. No sugary treats that you can get in pet shops, they are crap :D
They soon know who mum is and who feeds them. Get them used to being handled, pick them up (correctly) and give them a cuddle on your lap and groom them. Talk to them! I always chat to my piggies :) It takes time, but you will be rewarded. It is well worth your while getting one of Peter gurneys books on guinea pigs, you can pick one up second hand on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back