Bonding With Adult Guinea Pigs?

churro

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've had two female guinea pigs for over a year, and they seem to be relatively used to me... they respond to my voice and wheek whenever I walk by but they don't seem to like being petted or have any human contact whatsoever. I hand feed them every day as well as give them floor time to run around but they still seem very hesitant when being touched. Are there any suggestions about what I can do so they welcome being petted more?

I've had two female guinea pigs for over a year, and they seem to be relatively used to me... they respond to my voice and wheek whenever I walk by but they don't seem to like being petted or have any human contact whatsoever. I hand feed them every day as well as give them floor time to run around but they still seem very hesitant when being touched. Are there any suggestions about what I can do so they welcome being petted more?

Hi and welcome

Try our 'Piggy whispering' tips but please accept that the majority of piggies actually is not all that keen on cuddles if you allow them their say. Most will tolerate any grooming and handling for abut 10-15 minutes but then they want to go home and have each their own way of telling you that. A few love cuddles and some will never come to like being handled at all.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

The good things is that your bond doesn't rely only on lap time. You can do a lot more hands-off with enrichment activities during which you can be interactive with your piggies on an even footing and let yourself drawn into their own fascinating world. For me, enrichment time with my piggies beats a long boring session on the sofa anytime.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Here is the access link to our full information resource, which you may want to browse, read and re-read at need since with some guide you will pick up on different things at different levels of experience. The format also allows us to update and exted our information at need: Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

I'm not a "piggy whisperer" , and people with more knowledge about this animal might think I'm very wrong about this method;

I have two boys that didnt like to cuddle with me. In fact - humans was just ok when it was food time.
The trick was to have a "cuddlebox" with blankets and treats in the couch every night.
If they didnt wanted me to pet them I didnt, I just was there. When they realised they have space to move away from my hand they started to relax more and more. Now? They can cuddle for hours and waits for it every night. One of them stands and just stare at us humans until we fixed his box and snuggle him. And he have a creepy stare 😅

Cuddlebox time

IMG_20211119_222522.webp

Back