Bonding with a skittish guinea?

• Thread starter Thread starter seren6025
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seren6025

Hiya
I have just rescued 2 gorgeous pigs( I will put pigtures on as soon as I can), and Bob is placid and very easy to hadle...however, Brian is proving very difficult to catch to pick up and is extremely nervous...I managed to get him into a box so to have some serious floor time! I probably am being perhaps too careful and may be coming across as nervous myself( as I don't want to hurt him)!
Does anyone have any advice? I would love to hear your comments :laugh:

Try just softly talknig to him and feeding him his veggies by hand in the cage, eventually he should come to recognise you as the person who provides the food and not a threat.

Thank-you I will try to do lots of that :) He nibbled my hand today, I think it was out of curiosity( I hope)! :D

mine was like that but now hes indoors and being handle loads more he s improved

i talk to mine before I'm going to pick him up, seems to calm him down, if you reward him after picking him up with a treat he will associate it with that and it should definately work and hopefully be putty in your hands

i find the older they get the calmer they are.

Try hand feeding him something reguarly-just make sure you give your other gguinea an equal treatment(the last thing you want is piggie jealousy)! Be persistent and dont be tempted to "Give him some space"- In that time he'll become even shyer! My guinea pig was just like this at first but with daily handling she's as good as the other one now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back