Bonding (two sows) question

Boarmom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I really need some advice:) We recently lost our most precious boy leaving our girl (3,5 years) on her own. We immediately went looking for a new friend for her and after a week we found a girl of 1,5 years. The initial bonding on neutral territory went great. Our older piggy immediately started grooming her and besides a bit of chin rubbing all went good. We are now three days later and noticed that the new piggy is constantly in one of the hideys and if she comes out she is often chased back into her hidey by our older piggy. I’m not sure if this is normal bonding behavior or a sign from our older piggy that she doesn’t accept the new piggy. I was wondering whether I should put them back in the playpen on neutral territory. The new piggy is eating hay and her veggies. Any advice is appreciated!❤️

So sorry you lost your precious little man :hug:
If the new piggie is eating hay and veggies then it sounds ok. I would keep a close eye on them though. It usually takes about two weeks for them to settle down while bonding. In that time there can be lots of chasing, humping and shows of dominance by the top female who may be a little “over the top” to start with, this should ease soon. Make sure all hides have two escape routes so no pig gets cornered. If you are at all concerned as to how much the new piggie is eating then you can always weigh her daily at the same time so you know she is getting enough food if her weight is relatively stable (within +-30 gm)

Have a good read at the bonding guides they are so helpful and may put your mind at ease

Last edited:
Thank you, he really was the best piggy❤️

Thank you so much for your tips and advice. She is eating well! All hides have two escape routes. I just peeked in again and they were eating hay together. During dinner the older piggy even let her steel something from her bowl! I will give them some time to sort it out, but it is going in the right direction..

Thank you again😇

Thank you, he really was the best piggy❤️

Thank you so much for your tips and advice. She is eating well! All hides have two escape routes. I just peeked in again and they were eating hay together. During dinner the older piggy even let her steel something from her bowl! I will give them some time to sort it out, but it is going in the right direction..

Thank you again😇
Hiya,

How did it work out in the end? I'm in exactly the same position as you, in hoping the bonding works out.

Hi!
Everything worked out in the end:) The new piggy got a bit more bold and it is not that scared of the older piggy anymore. They now eat hay together, but I still have two separate bowls for their veggies. Sometimes the older one still chases the new piggy but 5 seconds later they eat hay together, it seems rather playful. Hope everything will work out between your girls as well😇

Back