Bonding two pairs

Kay Kelly

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya

This is a bit of a long one, but i beleive the info may be relevant.

So i started the year with 3 girlies (1 year, 3 yrs and 6 yrs). I lost the 3 year old to inoperable tumors. We then got a 10 week old bubba. Three weeks later the 6 year old passed of old age. So this now left me with a one year old and a 10 week old. Bonded them well in a few weeks and they live happily together.

Jump fowards a few weeks after that and i rescue two gorgeous ladies, 2 year old sisters, who have been used for breeding. I was told they had had 2 litters each. I beleive they had only just been removed from their babies a little before i got them. One mumma still had milk :(.

Ive been trying to bond the two pairs to no avail. Ive always managed to bond 1 new one into a pair. But I'm really struggling with a pair into another pair. I have sat with them with just one of each pair, shown them to each other through the cage door, swapped poo and bedding, swapped their igloos to share the scent. Put them on the lawn with just a cage panel between them.they are fine with a wall between them now. But When i put them all in the same space we get the usual rumble strutting, chasing... But then it escalates. Theyre becoming like ninjas and jump kicking each other opening their mouths to each other, nipping, raising heads and coming face to face .

We havent had any blood shed. So i have persisted. Ive now started intervening with a sponge stick (bit like a pool noodle). To avoid them full on attacking each other.

Is this a lost cause should i give up and just resign myself to the fact they wont bond. Or do i just persevere? And if so does anyone have any experience with bonding 2 pairs?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240603_121150.webp
    IMG_20240603_121150.webp
    125.8 KB · Views: 1
I’m afraid if you’ve had jump kicking and fronting face on then it's a no win situation. Sows can be very tricky to bond despite your previous experience of bonding. I’d keep them as 2 pairs.

Back