Bonding two pairs

Popcorn23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya,
I need some advice i have to pairs of guinea pigs ( 2 sows) (1 sow and neutered boar) I'm trying to bond then together three of them seem to get on theres some mild chattering and nipping , but one of the sows screams if anyone goes near her and she gets more nips and nose punching then the others. No blood drawn as of yet but I'm getting mixed messages as they all eat together , and happily sit down together and the other do sniff and i have seen some licking but she screams and gets a lot of nips or nose punches . I dont really know how to take this

Hiya,
I need some advice i have to pairs of guinea pigs ( 2 sows) (1 sow and neutered boar) I'm trying to bond then together three of them seem to get on theres some mild chattering and nipping , but one of the sows screams if anyone goes near her and she gets more nips and nose punching then the others. No blood drawn as of yet but I'm getting mixed messages as they all eat together , and happily sit down together and the other do sniff and i have seen some licking but she screams and gets a lot of nips or nose punches . I dont really know how to take this

Hi

Please just sit it out and don't interfere.

Your submission screaming sow is at the receiving any of some carefully judged but painless mild dominance nipping as your piggies have made it past acceptance into the hierarchy sort out in order to creat a new working group; she is obviously at the bottom and that is where the hierarchy ranking has now reached, working gradually from establishing the leader down the ladder to the piggy at the bottom.

The bonding has worked and your piggies are currently working on the house rules. Please accept that it takes around 2 weeks for the new group to fully settle in their territory but that the very worst should be over in 2-3 days.

Unlike you, your piggies have the instinctive manual and they know what they are doing. ;)

All stages of the bonding process with pictures, videos and stage appropirate behaviours: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Reacting to group or territorial changes: Dominance and group establishment/re-establishment

Back