Bonding two intact males

Kancil

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I just got my second guinea pig and I’m starting the bonding process.

Both are males, intact (my country don’t have vets who can neuter small pets), and are 6 and 7. They are bonding pretty well, one took the position of the more submissive one. The older one chased Leonor (6 months) quite a few times. I gave them two hideys with two holes each, lots of hay, and veggies to distract. There is no sign of lunging, biting, or circling. Teeth chattering happened at first but they don't do it anymore and are settling each in a hidey. Is it okay if I leave them overnight?

I’m so scared that they’ll fight when I am not supervising them. And if worst comes to worst can they kill each other in a fight (outside of getting a bad infection)? The vet care in my country is not the best, especially with small pets, so I’m very scared:’

How long have you had them in the neutral territory bonding pen?
They need to be in there for several hours to get through the early stages of the process.
If after several hours together, they are doing well together, then you can move them to the cage they are to live in and they will be fine to be left together overnight
If you are worried, then you can leave them in the bonding pen overnight and move them into the cage in the morning.
You must not separate them now you’ve put them together unless the bonding clearly fails and they fight. Separating them causes the bonding process to stop, interrupts them and means they have to start all over again, so please don’t separate them unless you absolutely have to.

Make sure the cage you move them into is big enough. Two teenage boars need a lot of space - a 180x60cm cage.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Thank you for replying! I’m actually leaving them in the neutral pen which I will then use as their cage too. I’ve had the in the neutral pen for 3 hours now. Is that enough hours of monitoring? I will probably pop a few more times before going to sleep tonight.

I put double of everything. Two bowls pf water, two hideys, lots of hay pile, veggies, and some pellets that they both love.

I just realized I got the cage sizing wrong:’ I got them a 120x60 cage/pen. Is it okay if I leave them there for the night and change to a bigger cage in a day or two?

Thank you for replying! I’m actually leaving them in the neutral pen which I will then use as their cage too. I’ve had the in the neutral pen for 3 hours now. Is that enough hours of monitoring? I will probably pop a few more times before going to sleep tonight.

I put double of everything. Two bowls pf water, two hideys, lots of hay pile, veggies, and some pellets that they both love.

I just realized I got the cage sizing wrong:’ I got them a 120x60 cage/pen. Is it okay if I leave them there for the night and change to a bigger cage in a day or two?

If the bonding pen is the cage they are to live in then you don’t need to do anything. You just leave them together.
It will take them two weeks to fully settle their hierarchy and relationship.

The cage is not likely to be big enough for two teenage boars so you will need to get a bigger cage for them. If you try to keep a boar pair in a cage which is too small it can cause them to fight.
They will hopefully be ok for a couple of days but they do need more space.

When you get them a bigger cage, then it will be a new territory and you may see an increase in dominance again.
Make sure you transfer soiled bedding from the cage they are currently in into the new cage so it will still smell of them.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Thank you for the advice! I checked them a couple of times throughout the night and it looks like all is well.

Back