Bonding two boars, is this normal?

Benny20

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I started my guinea pig bonding process about two weeks ago. They had already been in the same room before for about two months, but the larger cage that would hold both just arrived two weeks ago.

Therefore I put them in their new cage, with the divider, and that's how they have been since. However a week ago I tried putting them on an area they hadn't been on before, with hay, to see them interact.

It didn't go so well. Benny would always attack Smores. There has been no mounting, only direct bites and teeth chattering. There hasn't been any blood drawn, but I'm worried since I don't know if they are establishing dominance or simply fighting.

Smores always cries when Benny approaches him, even if Benny ends up not biting him. Yet when they are back in their cage, smores keeps biting the divider and wants to go with Benny.

Is all of this normal?

Hi and welcome

It sounds like they don't want to live together but they will be OK as next doors neighbours each with their own territory once tempers have settled down again. What you are witnessing now is classic territorial behaviour.

Territorial behaviours are mostly unknown amongst guinea pig owners and are therefore usually misinterpreted; often with devastating results.
You can find more about them and how they manifest under the relevant entry in our Behaviours guide: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Unfortunately, there is no magic wand way of bonding piggies. In the end it always boils down to whether the pigies involved are character compatible and want to be together or not. Bonding piggies on spec at home is like an arranged marriage - you can luck out but it also can go quite as easily not work out. You always need to brace for a fail and have a plan B at the ready before you start bonding.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Back