Bonding Tips!

laura_dungar

New Born Pup
Reaction score
all the advice and tips needed please!
recently lost one of my piggies, and left with a single male, who didn’t get on with my guinea pig that has just passed away (they lived in separate cages)
Got to try bonding my lone guinea pig with another one again, but he is very excitable and full of energy and very vocal. He is nearly two, but still acts like he’s a little baby piggie!
Any advice needed on bonding with another guinea pig to try to make it a successful match! Another pig that matches his energy? Or a calmer piggie? Older? Younger? Any advice anyone has i would be so grateful!
Thankyou! 💜

Attachments

• IMG_5862.webp
    IMG_5862.webp
    96 KB · Views: 1
The best way to find a new friend is to go to a rescue centre and get their help in finding a character match.
If one bonding fails they likely have others to try without you taking the risk of having to have them living side by side.

If you can’t get to a rescue and/or don’t mind risking another failed bond, then you are better off to go for younger piggy.
Generally speaking, it’s easier to bond with a baby as a baby won’t challenge your piggy for dominance while he is young. It’s not a guarantee though and we do sometimes see bonds with babies fail immediately.
However, bonding with a younger piggy does come with a risk that when that younger piggy hits his teens that the dynamic could change and he could then challenge.
Unfortunately there is never any guarantee when you bond on spec regardless of what age of piggy you choose and it does just mean you have to keep the separate living plan in mind.

Back