Bonding tips

Bertie & Jelly

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
My 4 year old boar Bertie lost his lifelong mate just over a week ago and I think he is struggling. He doesn’t come out of his hidey and has been on critical care since. I have been in contact with a lovely rescue from the list and have a potential similar aged foster companion lined up however there‘s a waitlist for bonding. I’m worried he might just give up whilst we’re waiting so I am considering doing the bonding myself with their support. I have read the bonding guides over and over but still have a few questions.

1. Subject to when I collect, there may not be enough time for a good bonding session of several hours (assuming it’s going well). Can I put them side by side overnight and start the bonding in the morning so I’ve got all day or does this upset the dynamics? Indeed, is there benefit in keeping them side by side for even longer before starting bonding?
2. Is there an optimum size for the neutral bonding pen? I’ll be making one from spare C&C grids - I’ve got enough for 3x2 but could get my hands on more to make 3x3. Is this big enough/too big? The normal pen is 6x2 plus 2x1 on the side.
3. The guides say if they’re still bonding in the evening, they can potentially be left in the bonding pen overnight. I’m assuming just with hay and water, still no hideys? I’d like to hope that if I start in the morning, they will have made up their minds by evening 😬

I am waiting to hear back from the bonding expert at the rescue but just wanted to get some views so I can be as prepared as possible. Many thanks.

1. Yes absolutely fine to keep them side by overnight before bonding. It can help the need piggy settle in and for them to get to know each other through the bars prior to bonding. They can actually be side by side for a few days. The side by side interaction while the new piggy is settling in may be enough interaction to help Bertie in the short term while you prepare for the bonding.
Dont start the bonding unless you’ve got time to see it through because separating mid session is not a good idea.

2. I would not carry out a boar bonding in a 3x2, it’s quite small. I personally wouldnt do it in less than a 4x2.

3. Absolutely yes. Fine to leave them in the bonding pen overnight if you are at unsure whether they have got through the process.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

1. Yes absolutely fine to keep them side by overnight before bonding. It can help the need piggy settle in and for them to get to know each other through the bars prior to bonding. They can actually be side by side for a few days. The side by side interaction while the new piggy is settling in may be enough interaction to help Bertie in the short term while you prepare for the bonding.
Dont start the bonding unless you’ve got time to see it through because separating mid session is not a good idea.

2. I would not carry out a boar bonding in a 3x2, it’s quite small. I personally wouldnt do it in less than a 4x2.

3. Absolutely yes. Fine to leave them in the bonding pen overnight if you are at unsure whether they have got through the process.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Thank you so much. Very helpful and reassuring.

Back