Bonding three boys

MeeMoo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I've been making a large (13sq foot) cage, for my two boys, both around a year old (I adopted them at 5-6 months nearly 5 months ago, and I called the pet store the previous owner got them from and they said they estimated the pigs they sell to be between 8-12 weeks, so they're between 12-14 months!). They're pretty close, we've only had one incident of hormone driven harassment that lasted about an hour, and they've gotten through those rough teenage months in a minimum size midwest. So I'm excited for this expansion! And with the size being a touch over the minimum for four pigs, i was thinking about getting a third boy to round off my numbers. Would this be a good age to introduce a new pig? Should I wait? The boy I have my eyes on is said to be about 8 months old, and I worry about how that would affect my two boys relationship. I've read about the chance that three boys would work out being slim, and I'm a little nervous. Unfortunately, the person I was talking to about the adoption intends to sell him to a pet store, and he's been living alone for the time they've had him. So I'm worried about not picking him up, as well, now. I have the old midwest cage that he could stay in if things go south, but I'm hoping to get some advice before I fully commit. I just don't want this poor lonesome guy to end up in a pet store.

Please do not do it, its simply not worth the stress to the piggies or to you as it is highly likely to fail pretty quickly and end up in fights. Boar trios, particularly between those of the ages your piggies are, do not work. Not only will it not work between three of them, it also has the potential to destroy the original pairs relationship meaning you end up with three single piggies.
Your cage, at 13 square feet, is the recommend size for a boar pair. Boar cage sizing does not work as with sows - a 12 square foot cage is fine for three sows but not for three boars (not that three boars works). To attempt a boar trio you would need 36 square feet (three square metres, allowing for a square metre of territory per boar) if you were brave enough to try it.

If you want this piggy, then it is best for you to get him and bond him with a fourth boar (so you have two separate pairs) and keep them in an entirely separate 12 square foot cage. Do also be aware that as he is a teenager, then it may be tricky to bond him with his own boar friend at this time as he is at a time of high hormones.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Please do not do it, its simply not worth the stress to the piggies or to you as it is highly likely to fail pretty quickly and end up in fights. Boar trios, particularly between those of the ages your piggies are, do not work. Not only will it not work between three of them, it also has the potential to destroy the original pairs relationship meaning you end up with three single piggies.
Your cage, at 13 square feet, is is lovely for the pair but is definitely not big enough to even attempt a boar trio - you need 36 square feet (three square metres, allowing for a square metre of territory per boar) if you were brave enough to try it.

If you want this piggy, then it is best for you to get him and bond him with a fourth boar (so you have two separate pairs) and keep them in an entirely separate 12 square foot cage. Do also be aware that as he is a teenager, then it may be tricky to bond him with his own boar friend at this time as he is at a time of high hormones.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Yeah, I'm seeing the general consensus being that I shouldn't even attempt it, and I def don't want my boys to end up falling out! They've gone this long with eachother already, despite some odds! I'd just hate for this poor lil guy to end up in a pet store again... would you have any suggestions as far as what to do? Should I try and convince the owner to maybe go to a rescue instead or should I take him and give him to a rescue myself?

I can speak from experience - please do not do it.

I am part of a rescue who routinely have boars surrendered because of well intentioned but misguided attempts to bond a trio. This can lead to awful bullying, fall outs and injuries. And worst of all, you can upset the bond between your pair and end up with 3 solo boars who can’t live with each other. The only advice that’s responsible to give is not to do it.

I've got three boys living together peacefully. First of all, if you want to adopt three boys, 13sq ft is nowhere near enough. In theory you'd need multiple times that much space. Mine live in a relatively small cage for 3 boys, at around 25sq ft.
Bonding them at that age would almost definitely fail, as they are all teenagers. I only managed to bond three boys because I introduced the third as a baby. Trying to bond a third boy to an already stable bond might also result in the other two piggies falling out.
With your circumstances, it's simply not worth the risk, as it will most likely be a failed bonding. If you're lucky you'll end up with your original pair and a lone pig. If not, then you could end up with 3 separate boys and, if you're not careful, possible injuries.

I've got three boys living together peacefully. First of all, if you want to adopt three boys, 13sq ft is nowhere near enough. In theory you'd need multiple times that much space. Mine live in a relatively small cage for 3 boys, at around 25sq ft.
Bonding them at that age would almost definitely fail, as they are all teenagers. I only managed to bond three boys because I introduced the third as a baby. Trying to bond a third boy to an already stable bond might also result in the other two piggies falling out.
With your circumstances, it's simply not worth the risk, as it will most likely be a failed bonding. If you're lucky you'll end up with your original pair and a lone pig. If not, then you could end up with 3 separate boys and, if you're not careful, possible injuries.
I really had no idea a third boy would need so much more space! I'm really glad I had the foresight to ask before I went and did anything reckless, I really appreciate your- and everyones- insight on the matter!

My Edward was part of a trio and was awfully bullied and bitten all over his face. He was surrendered to a rescue who neutered him. I adopted him at 6 months old and he’s now enjoying his retirement (he’s nearly 6) with his 3 wives. It’s simply not worth the risk

My Edward was part of a trio and was awfully bullied and bitten all over his face. He was surrendered to a rescue who neutered him. I adopted him and he’s now enjoying his retirement (he’s nearly 6 now, I’ve had him for 5 and a half years) with his 3 wives m. It’s simply not worth the risk
Oh gosh! poor thing.. I'm definitely seeing the risks, since so few people actually have three boars together I never knew how much space it would take to make something like that work! I'd hate for my boys to fall out, they get along so well together and are such a nice pair, I'll have to see if I can just advise the person to maybe go to a rescue instead if there's no other takers for him

Oh gosh! poor thing.. I'm definitely seeing the risks, since so few people actually have three boars together I never knew how much space it would take to make something like that work! I'd hate for my boys to fall out, they get along so well together and are such a nice pair, I'll have to see if I can just advise the person to maybe go to a rescue instead if there's no other takers for him
If you can find a good rescue that will bond him and find him a good home as a pair, that is the best option for this little lone piggie x

Back