Bonding problems!

MandMsMum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, after a bit of advice please.

I inherited two 3 year old girls last year, separate cages as they were both dominant and wouldn’t bond but happy as neighbours. I lost one in January suddenly and the other was grieving terribly so we got another baby girl. Gently introduced them based on the fact Minnie was a loner and aged 4 and got to the point where they were happy spending all day in each other’s company on neutral territory so moved them in together (new cage plenty of enrichement, separate hidey holes ) and it’s gone downhill since. Minnie has always been the boss based on seniority but has no tolerance, Myrtle is going through adolescence and showing a dominant streak (she is so like her predecessor it’s unreal) and although she wants to be friends she’s also a complete terror nicking food from Minnie’s mouth, sitting on her when she’s asleep in her sleeping bag and Minnie just looks utterly fed up with the crazy child. Minnie also has ovarian cysts although the exotics vet is reluctant to remove based on her age and them causing her no problems other than a bit of a waddle.

Even though fur is flying, they have plenty space and no blood has been drawn. Do I keep at it or am I fighting a losing battle here and chalk it up to a personality clash and just let them be neighbours too. They’ve been in the same cage for 3 weeks. Any advice appreciated 😊

:wel:

You say gently introduced and they were happy to be together during the day - were you putting them together and then separating them again? If so, then the bonding process would have been interrupted every time you separated them but I do see they’ve now been in the cage for three weeks. This means that their bonding process has only been going on for three weeks. It takes two weeks of permanently being together for them to form their relationship - so you are one week past that.
You say Minnie is fed up with it - what behaviour are you seeing to suggest that?
Myrtle sounds to be a normal youngster - taking food is how they learn - the things you’ve mentioned wouldn’t be signs of a failing bond
4 also isn’t particularly old for having cysts dealt with - I know there’s people with sows older on here who have had surgery. Obviously you need to be guided by your vet in the situation though.

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Hi,

I was, Minnie was vile at the start and it did not go well on several occasions but in hindsight I have wondered if I should have just let them duke it out earlier on. She’s not interested in anything other than food and me although she’s always been inherently lazy. Seems to hide more than normal. There’s a lot of normal behaviour, heads are raised, nudging and chasing off from both of them, they’re vocal and there have been some scuffles but not every day. Yet feeding time when I’d expect drama is relatively calm and it’s clear Myrtle is learning from her which is good you’ve confirmed. Sounds already like to keep at it which I want for them. But I’ll definitely have another word with the vet or get a second opinion.

Back