Bonding older sow to bonded pair?

Spring100

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am slowly looking for a third guinea pig for my bonded pair (neutered boar and sow). The advice I received before was to look for a pair of young sows (under 6 months).

This combination cannot easy be found in shelters in the Netherlands. So then I would have to search in pet stores or the internet. Because I prefer to adopt a guinea pig from the shelter, I will end up with a slightly older sow (i'm looking for max 3 years).

My own 1.5 year old sow is quite dominant. The bear is not really dominant, quite calm. But I think (just about) the boss. So I am specifically looking for a calm and submissive sow.

Are there any tips I can take with me in this process? I don't think quarantine is necessary, because the shelters I have in mind are reliable and professional. Should I do the bonding right away or keep the new sow separate for a while? And then really separately or next to the c&c cage in another cage?

I am slowly looking for a third guinea pig for my bonded pair (neutered boar and sow). The advice I received before was to look for a pair of young sows (under 6 months).

This combination cannot easy be found in shelters in the Netherlands. So then I would have to search in pet stores or the internet. Because I prefer to adopt a guinea pig from the shelter, I will end up with a slightly older sow (i'm looking for max 3 years).

My own 1.5 year old sow is quite dominant. The bear is not really dominant, quite calm. But I think (just about) the boss. So I am specifically looking for a calm and submissive sow.

Are there any tips I can take with me in this process? I don't think quarantine is necessary, because the shelters I have in mind are reliable and professional. Should I do the bonding right away or keep the new sow separate for a while? And then really separately or next to the c&c cage in another cage?

Hi

In my own experience a well bonded mixed gender will often not want a third intruder (especially not with a dominant sow), no matter what the personality. Trying a couple of submissive sows turns the couple into a group with different dynamics, as long as your existing sow comes out on top.

Age is less a matter than personality and outlook. The problem with adult sows is that the loser of the leadership contest will often refuse to give in and submit since it is marked step down for her in terms of status and standing. I've done plenty of Tribe internal bondings (especially after losses) but it have had more fails than successes with creating trios. They only work out when the sows are good friends.

You would either have the rescue take back the sow or keep her next to the others in an adjoining cage with full interaction through the bars for the necessary social stimulation. I wish it was easier but even what looks like a perfect on paper can be an outright fail when the piggies come face to face. I have got a big cupboard full of those t-shirts and have learned to do those kinds of adoptions only with a plan B (and had on occasion go down to plan E!)

Thanks. Maybe i should keep them together and not add another sow. They seem to really like each other. I really do not want two cages 😅 I will keep looking for a pair then. Maybe one day i will see a couple of young sows at a shelter.

Back