Bonding nervous young sow

Burns360

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I currently have two 8 month old bonded sows together and have recently rescued a 3/4 month old sow, she was mistreated and was living alone in a filthy cage without access to water and basic needs. I kept her separated from my other two whilst she settled in. I tried to bond them all in a neutral area but she is so frighted and immediately began to lunge, nip and puff up and become very aggressive. I aborted the bonding session and put her side by side with a divider in my 6x2 c&c cage, she seems much happier, she is eating more, sniffing the others through the bars and even popcorning. I’m not sure wether I’m time I should attempt to bond again? Or if she will be happy as she is with her own space but companionship through the divider. Maybe I attempted to bond too soon?

Attachments

• 8F67F57F-72A9-4D31-81C6-AB967B369E09.webp
    8F67F57F-72A9-4D31-81C6-AB967B369E09.webp
    127.5 KB · Views: 2
I currently have two 8 month old bonded sows together and have recently rescued a 3/4 month old sow, she was mistreated and was living alone in a filthy cage without access to water and basic needs. I kept her separated from my other two whilst she settled in. I tried to bond them all in a neutral area but she is so frighted and immediately began to lunge, nip and puff up and become very aggressive. I aborted the bonding session and put her side by side with a divider in my 6x2 c&c cage, she seems much happier, she is eating more, sniffing the others through the bars and even popcorning. I’m not sure wether I’m time I should attempt to bond again? Or if she will be happy as she is with her own space but companionship through the divider. Maybe I attempted to bond too soon?

Hi

As she is clearly much happier with having her own territory but company through the bars, please keep her like that. Depending on how things develop (or not) try again in several months down the line. This is something you have to play by ear but you have to be patient.

Take pride in that you are making her very happy as she is but it is going to take time to work past her fear-aggression; too much too soon will only set her off again. She's obviously not used to living with other piggies.

Back