Bonding Naughty Sows HELP

courts98xx

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
I need some help bonding please, I've never ever had any luck bonding sows and I just want them to have the best life together! I think I get too scared once the teeth chattering and nipping starts!

So long story short I have 8 Sows, I did have a neutered boar, Hoku, but unfortunately he passed away this morning 😢
Harmony (4y) and Lyra (3y) I won't bond with others as Harmony goes straight for the attack she's only happy with Lyra who is her daughter.

Nova (4y) used to live with just Hoku, and I don't want her being alone for long. She lives next door to Milky (1y), io (1y) and Cassie (9m). I did try bonding them 3 with Nova and Hoku last year but it didn't go that well.

I now recently rescued 2 Sows from a home that couldn't give them the attention they need, Cosmo (5m) & Astrid (5m).

I would like to bond Nova, Milky, io, Cassie, Cosmo & Astrid so I can put them in a nice open area and for them to live in a nice herd. I've always had trouble bonding, I've always followed a nice open area, plenty of hay and veg around etc etc. But they all end up teeth chattering at some point, nipping and lunging. This is the first time bonding Nova without Hoku, and Astrid & Cosmo bonding eith anyway. I'm worried this won't work again and my dream won't happen 😔
Do I watch them with the nipping and teeth chattering and face lift offs, and hope for the best? I think I seperate too soon.
Any advice is appreciated

Thanks, Courtney x

I can’t help with bonding question but I suggest you look at the bonding thread on the forum.
It’s very helpful.
Sorry I don’t have the tech skills to link it for you.

So sorry that you lost Hoku. Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

Thank you ❤❤

I was wondering if it's best to bond them all together at once, or at seperate intervals so Nova with Cosmo and Astrid first then with the 3 🤔 or would it just be too stressful

Hello!
I need some help bonding please, I've never ever had any luck bonding sows and I just want them to have the best life together! I think I get too scared once the teeth chattering and nipping starts!

So long story short I have 8 Sows, I did have a neutered boar, Hoku, but unfortunately he passed away this morning 😢
Harmony (4y) and Lyra (3y) I won't bond with others as Harmony goes straight for the attack she's only happy with Lyra who is her daughter.

Nova (4y) used to live with just Hoku, and I don't want her being alone for long. She lives next door to Milky (1y), io (1y) and Cassie (9m). I did try bonding them 3 with Nova and Hoku last year but it didn't go that well.

I now recently rescued 2 Sows from a home that couldn't give them the attention they need, Cosmo (5m) & Astrid (5m).

I would like to bond Nova, Milky, io, Cassie, Cosmo & Astrid so I can put them in a nice open area and for them to live in a nice herd. I've always had trouble bonding, I've always followed a nice open area, plenty of hay and veg around etc etc. But they all end up teeth chattering at some point, nipping and lunging. This is the first time bonding Nova without Hoku, and Astrid & Cosmo bonding eith anyway. I'm worried this won't work again and my dream won't happen 😔
Do I watch them with the nipping and teeth chattering and face lift offs, and hope for the best? I think I seperate too soon.

Thanks, Courtney x

Hi

Please take the time to read these links here; you will find them very helpful. Chinning and nipping are part of the bonding process/leadership establishment. Mild teeth chattering at the start is often nerves while strong mutual teeth chattering can indicate that the sows in question have decided that they do not suit. Please sit things out as much as possible. The bonding guide takes you through all stages and describes which behaviours signal that the bonding has failed at every single stage. It is likely going get to rather hairy and nerve wracking at times.

You can distract them by judiciously adding some hay or some fresh grass or pellets but in the end they need to work out who is top and then work out the whole lhierarchy from top down. If the leadership cannot be agreed on or there is a serious ranking dispute, then the group bonding will fail. Please intervene as little as possible and bite your nails rather than messing around with the piggies and creating an added stress factor.

Success is never guaranteed. Once sows make up their mind that they do not suit, then you have had it. They are not going to change their mind for the next few years or the rest of their lives. Please wait until the hierarchy is established and the worst of the dominance is out of the way even if it means a night in the bonding pen. It makes for a much easier time in their new cage.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours (see especially entries dominance na dfer-aggression/defensive behaviours)

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts) (includes a chapter on post-bonding sow dominance behaviours)
Reacting to group or territorial changes: Dominance and group establishment/re-establishment (the two weeks post-intro)

Have a plan B, C and if needed a plan D. What you can never predict is the dynamics between the piggies. I can work out well and in can end up in disaster. I have as many (or even more) failed bonding than successful ones, seeing that for a time I have mainly adopted stuck in rescue piggies that have failed to get on with other piggies.

Hello!

Thanks, Courtney x

Good luck with the bonding. I hope it goes well 🤞🏻

Back