Bonding my pregnant girls

Cara-milk

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a few pregnant girls, due about 1-2 weeks apart from each other, and my friends pregnant girl is coming to stay with me for a while, she's due while she's here.
I was wondering if it's safe to put them all together before and after they have the babies?
2 of the girls will be put together before they are due, but then I have 2 more girls to put with them 1-2 weeks later..
I was planning on making a big cage area for them all to go in so the babies would have lots of friends and aunties, but 2 of the girls don't particularly like meeting new girls.. (Idk if being pregnant would change that?) My other girl is ok with meeting new piggies, and I don't know about my friends piggy..
Is it safe for another pregnant girl to go in with girls who already have babies? (or 2 girls) Or should I have them separated in two pairs?

Hello,
I have a few pregnant girls, due about 1-2 weeks apart from each other, and my friends pregnant girl is coming to stay with me for a while, she's due while she's here.
I was wondering if it's safe to put them all together before and after they have the babies?
2 of the girls will be put together before they are due, but then I have 2 more girls to put with them 1-2 weeks later..
I was planning on making a big cage area for them all to go in so the babies would have lots of friends and aunties, but 2 of the girls don't particularly like meeting new girls.. (Idk if being pregnant would change that?) My other girl is ok with meeting new piggies, and I don't know about my friends piggy..
Is it safe for another pregnant girl to go in with girls who already have babies? (or 2 girls) Or should I have them separated in two pairs?

Hi

Please keep them in two well-bonded pairs but do not force any bonds. Personal likes/dislikes rather intensify in the run up to birth and during the nursing period as mums become more protective and the normal group hierarchy is suspended.

The group creche usually only works for sows who have been rescued as a group living together and are used to live in groups (i.e. in hoarding intakes). Any other scenarios are very hit and miss and depend on mutual liking and whether any sow wants to give up leadership (not very likely unless one leader is sub-adult and cannot challenge the other although they may try).

Back