Bonding moving in the new cage

Lsd3

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am really confused. I tried to bond my adult pair of sows (Skye and Dolores) to my newly weaned baby mother (4.5 months old) Lucy. We setup a new area and everything and had them in there for 9 hours. We started Saturday morning. Honestly in 2 hours they settled pretty well, their first nap and everything. It looked really good. Eating and everything together. Lucy mostly just squeaked in submission, did not display any dominance sign unlike the two.
Ok so we decided to move them back into the cage (cleaned off all smells previously) separation removed.
To my surprise it kind of started all over again. So we were mostly up all night. This time Skye the older sow became trouble, she kept mounting her twin Dolores, and chasing Lucy, Lucy just submits, but previously Dolores was more dominant, so they lunged at each other, head raising, excessive mounting, chasing Lucy, but it felt like The dynamics between the already two bonded sow changed.

Even though now super tired, we let them settle it out instead of moving them back to neutral area and starting again. But I am wondering is this normal.

Like they chase Lucy quite a bit, the older ones keep mounting each other, lunging happened twice or thrice with nose punch. Hopefully it will settle down? But I am more afraid that the already two bonded pair don’t get along anymore ? Or do I just wait it out. When do I know it’s not working?

Update they have seemed to settle down peacefully now!

It is normal to see an escalation in dominance when moving to a new environment plus will take around two weeks for a relationship and hierarchy to be fully formed so you may see a continuation of chasing etc while they sort things out.
I'm glad they have settled now

Back