Bonding help 2 males

mara288

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I have been doing lots of reading about bonding, behaviours etc. I'm not sure if the bonding is going well and would like some reassurance or guidance.
I have a 4 year old male whose neighbour sadly passed away, I now have a new pig who is roughly 3. Both not neutered. Introductions went well at the rescue, usual chasing, strutting and mounting. I bought them home, carried on the bonding, which went as expected, mounting, chasing, strutting, head raising.. thoroughly cleaned cage and popped them. They settled down within a couple of hours.
They have a 2x6 c and c cage. Noticed new pig was quite dominant over the hides, so removed them and now they have piles of hay at either end and a pile in the middle. 2 food bowls and 2 water bottles.
They seemed to be settled ish, still teeth chattering, strutting, nose offs which I know is usual. They have been lying down together, new pig in the hay and Pumba next to him.
Came home from work on Monday, and spotted Pumba has received a few nips on his face, more like surface scratche, no wounds on new pig.
I let them out for floor time, plenty of food hay scattered around. New pig was in a hide and Pumba went upto him, lots of loud teeth chattering, then all of sudden a ball of fur. I think its because they couldn't escape as in a corner of the room. Anyway managed to stop the ball of fur and checked both over once they had chilled out. Lots of loud chattering and defensive body language. Pumba had a very small nip along his jawline, nothing on new pig.
They chilled out, I popped them back in and they settled back down with a new pile of hay.
Woke up this morning and Pumba now has a scratch across his nose.
New pig is obviously showing his dominance or perhaps he is scared and its more defensive? There are positive signs, they lay next to each, generally eat together ok, just the usual expected behaviour and I have noticed Pumba has tried to groom him a few times, which has been accepted briefly.
I know its early days as I got new pig on Saturday, so they have been together for 3 days now, but I'm just a bit anxious leaving them and poor Pumba getting beaten up !
Is this all ok and they are establishing their relationship? Or is this not going so well ?
Thank you for any advice/guidance x

Hi 🙂 I would watch them very closely. Their bond so far sounds very dysfunctional. If blood has been drawn and a fight has broken out, we generally say that a bonding has failed and isn’t going to work and it isn’t a good sign that Pumba is getting nipped. But I’ve only ever had one boar at a time (neutered) and living with sows and am not an expert on boar to boar bondings. I hope that they either settle down or you come up with a solution.

My old boar, Edward was part of a trio of boars before he came to me and before he was separated and handed in to a rescue and he was badly bullied and was covered in nips and bites to his face. If this is what is happening to Pumba, I’m afraid they aren’t going to be friends x

:agr:

I think once they have had a full on fight they are unlikely to bond successfully long term.
If it was a one off then maybe, but it sounds like they are having regular spats.

You might find our Forum guide helpful as it was written by one of our resident experts with years of experience.
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonds In Trouble

:wel:

I do agree - a full on fight usually means things won’t work out long term.

Hello, thank you for your replies ! I've been searching through the threads and I was just so confused as there are both positive and negative signs ! This is my first pair I'm bonding and wasn't sure if I was being over anxious about it all !
It seems to be quite weird, we've just had floor time and they went straight back into their cage, they are currently sat together in the same hay pile munching. I've worked from home today, and have heard them have a few times chattering, strutting etc. I'm in the office tomorrow and I'm now torn, should I be separating them now ?
Thanks again! X

Back