Bonding getting bad

Miellez

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone ! I have a little bit of a problem with my two piggies.
Short story, I had 3 females : Issberg, Ginger and Manala. Issberg was the dominant one. They were all 2 and a half years old. Issberg died 2 monthes ago from unknown circonstances (we suspect a cancer). Ginger and Manala were still living together and maybe there was some distance between them but there was still a nice bond.
Two weeks ago, Ginger had a surgery and was neutered (her ovaries and uterus were 3 times their size). I kept hep appart from Manala but they could still see each other through the cages, and the evening they were together to spend a little time with each other.
This monday my vet said that there was no more reason to keep them separated, so I opened the cage. But in the morning Ginger screamt a lot, and when I got to her Manala had bit her two times on the cheek. So I separated them again. Now, everytime I put them togeter, Ginger screams, and there is a lot of teeth chattering.
So now I don't know what to do. I don't really understand what happened and have no idea how to deal with this. Does somebody have any idea ?

I’m so sorry to hear this.
Unfortunately separating them for medical reasons has the potential to sadly break a bond particularly one which wasn’t ideal in the first place. We recommend that piggies are put back together upon returning from surgery and not kept apart where at all possible.

Opening up the cage and allowing each to wander into each other’s half would have been seen as a territory invasion which can cause problems. Any reintroduction needs to be carried out on completely neutral territory - both piggies put into a bonding pen to allow them to decide if they wish to go back together.
Unfortunately now she has bitten her and caused an injury, it is very likely that sadly their bond is broken and they will not be able to live in the same cage again.

The guide below may explain things further

Bonds In Trouble

It sounds like they need separating, after a bite it is very unlikely they will get along again and it is likely it will happen again if put together.

Did the bite draw blood, I assume? If so, than it is best to separate.
Nipping can happen and will happen as a dominance thing but when blood is drawn it is a sure sign of a failed bond, as they will just fight whenever put together.

If you did want to try again, do so in a neutral territory.
Aside from the guide above you may find this one helpful - Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

I would try and keep them separate but in a way they can see each other to avoid them getting too lonely. They might calm down after a while but if not I would try and bond them with younger guinea pigs if possible

I would try and keep them separate but in a way they can see each other to avoid them getting too lonely. They might calm down after a while but if not I would try and bond them with younger guinea pigs if possible
Thank you all for your answer !
So if they are only separated by a fence it should be ok, they won't get too lonely ? I was mostly affraid about that.
I was supposed to get a neutered boar in the next months. Not sure if this is still a good idea or if I should get a younger soar ?

Thank you all for your answer !
So if they are only separated by a fence it should be ok, they won't get too lonely ? I was mostly affraid about that.
I was supposed to get a neutered boar in the next months. Not sure if this is still a good idea or if I should get a younger soar ?

Separated piggies need to live side by side so they can still interact between the bars. That is absolutely fine and they won’t get lonely.

You can get either a neutered boar or a sow to bond with one of them - so you would then have a pair and a single piggy, or get a new friend (either a sow or a neutered boar) for them both and then have two separate pairs.
Age doesn’t matter quite so much, it’s character compatibility which is the most vital factor, although a younger sow can’t challenge for dominance.

Back