Bonding females

• Thread starter Thread starter trance
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trance

HI I was wondering how easy it is 2 bond females. If I had a couple in a hutch and wanted to add a couple more how would I go about it and how easy is it to get them to accept each other?

I think it is pretty easy... but dont try and bond the whole group together... i would do 1 on 1 bonding then a group one...
hope this helps lol

Good luck

Have been told it's pretty easy - my 8 girlies are all in seperate pairs as they wont get along. The only time they do get along, is when in the run outside!

It tends to be easier than bonding boys however there are still no guarentees. Some sows will take a dislike to each other. Same rules apply to introducing both girls and boys - they need to be introduced on neutral territory and there needs to be plenty of space so they can get away from each other if they want to.

I have got 16 girls in one hugh herd and they get along great but i think the freedom of a big run and plenty of hidey places etc makes the difference

kellyandpiggies said:
Have been told it's pretty easy - my 8 girlies are all in seperate pairs as they wont get along. The only time they do get along, is when in the run outside!

Know how you feel Kelly, Maddie only likes Albie ::) Seems to persecute anything female that gets within 2ft of her ;D

You need to do it gradually and be prepared for a lot of chasing & teeth chattering! I have a group of girls and then when one dies I'll add another one or a pair. The way I do it, is first of all a quarantine period of a few days, just to make sure you're not bringing in any disease. Then put her/them in an adjoining cage or split the pen so they can sniff each other through the wire. Then I have them on my lap together so they get used to each other (most guineas won't have a fight on your lap!). Then I usually swap the new ones with the old ones in their living areas so they all get used to each others smell. By doing this they should all end up smelling pretty much the same if they are using each other's bedding. You can put them on neutral ground with a big pile of nice food, will take their minds off each other. A lot of people on here bath them so they smell the same, that's a good idea too. It's a gradual process. I'm going through this again at the moment with mine. I'm at the very eary stages! Sometimes it's taken me one day, another time it took me 3 weeks to introduce a particuarly dominant female.

Good luck! ps you need a good amount of space for them all. I'm lucky in that mine have got large pens. Don't think it would work so well with small hutches.

Thanks guys, I have 3 single boars , 2 of whom are rescue but always wanted a herd of girlies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back