Bonding fail?

rhj

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new to this forum!

Thank you first of all for incredibly helpful posts on bonding techniques and boar behaviour. I wish we’d had them when we first adopted! Sorry in advance for a long post.

We adopted two bonded boars eight months ago - they were about two years old. They were always narky with each other, would teeth chatter when they annoyed each other and needed two lots of everything, which we provided. The smaller one would follow the bigger one around and try and hump him frequently, which he tolerated to a degree, but would get annoyed by. Sadly the bigger one died recently after we found a tumour in his abdomen. We were so devastated!

We didn’t want our remaining boar to be alone so adopted another from a reputable local rescue. The new boy had already had one bonding fail and is about ten or eleven months old. We set up two large adjoining cages with a dividing grid and they lived there for over a week. Some sniffing through the bars and territorial bar biting but they were interested, and it generally went ok. Today we put them in a neutral bonding cage with hides with more than one exit and lots of hay.

Well, the new boar was aggressive from the start - chasing our existing boy out of the hides, rumbling, teeth chattering, a lot of squeaking, chinning and lunging. Our existing boy sometimes backed off and sometimes didn’t. In the hours since they’ve had periods of both eating, resting in the hides, drinking etc. The new boy is now mostly letting the other one stay in a hide when he wants. But it’s been nine hours now, and every time they pass each other there’s more squeaking, teeth chattering and lunging. No blood has been drawn yet.

I don’t have enough experience to know whether this is a failed bond or whether they’re just working out territorial differences! From body language my guess is that the new boy is dominant but our existing boy isn’t being as submissive as he needs to be.

Any advice would be so welcome, thank you!

Hi all, I’m new to this forum!

Thank you first of all for incredibly helpful posts on bonding techniques and boar behaviour. I wish we’d had them when we first adopted! Sorry in advance for a long post.

We adopted two bonded boars eight months ago - they were about two years old. They were always narky with each other, would teeth chatter when they annoyed each other and needed two lots of everything, which we provided. The smaller one would follow the bigger one around and try and hump him frequently, which he tolerated to a degree, but would get annoyed by. Sadly the bigger one died recently after we found a tumour in his abdomen. We were so devastated!

We didn’t want our remaining boar to be alone so adopted another from a reputable local rescue. The new boy had already had one bonding fail and is about ten or eleven months old. We set up two large adjoining cages with a dividing grid and they lived there for over a week. Some sniffing through the bars and territorial bar biting but they were interested, and it generally went ok. Today we put them in a neutral bonding cage with hides with more than one exit and lots of hay.

Well, the new boar was aggressive from the start - chasing our existing boy out of the hides, rumbling, teeth chattering, a lot of squeaking, chinning and lunging. Our existing boy sometimes backed off and sometimes didn’t. In the hours since they’ve had periods of both eating, resting in the hides, drinking etc. The new boy is now mostly letting the other one stay in a hide when he wants. But it’s been nine hours now, and every time they pass each other there’s more squeaking, teeth chattering and lunging. No blood has been drawn yet.

I don’t have enough experience to know whether this is a failed bond or whether they’re just working out territorial differences! From body language my guess is that the new boy is dominant but our existing boy isn’t being as submissive as he needs to be.

Any advice would be so welcome, thank you!

Hi and welcome

Lunging is a defensive fear-aggressive behaviour; a strongly worded 'stay out of my space'. If it is not followed up with aggression, then it is OK. Is the squeaking submission squeaking or not? We cannot comment; nor can we comment on how how serious the teeth chattering is. All these behaviours exist on a sliding scale from relatively minor to full-on extreme.
The new boy seems to be over the top but cannot necessarily back it up because there is obviously quite some insecurity underlying his behaviour.

It would help us if you could take a video, upload it on a public setting on a service that doesn't require a membership sign-in (youtube would be best) and then copying across so we can better assess what is happening in terms of body language as well.

Bonding teenage boars in one of the trickier stages (8-10 months) is not exactly easy.

Welcome to the forum. I can only agree with the advice just given. I have a pair of recently separated boars. My dominant boy is now so much happier and they are great neighbours.

Thank you so much both for your responses. I was in the middle of taking a video when the lunging actually turned into fighting, so it’s a no-go and we’ve separated them. The teenage boar wouldn’t stop pursuing the older one, so you were right about that!

We don’t really have room in our current set-up for them to live permanently as neighbours and still have enough space each, so we have to make some decisions now about whether we change our set-up or return the teenage boy to the rescue and try again with another. Our existing boar isn’t neutered so sows aren’t an option unless we go down that route. We just want them both to be happy!

Anyway, thank you for the advice - it was much appreciated!

Thank you so much both for your responses. I was in the middle of taking a video when the lunging actually turned into fighting, so it’s a no-go and we’ve separated them. The teenage boar wouldn’t stop pursuing the older one, so you were right about that!

We don’t really have room in our current set-up for them to live permanently as neighbours and still have enough space each, so we have to make some decisions now about whether we change our set-up or return the teenage boy to the rescue and try again with another. Our existing boar isn’t neutered so sows aren’t an option unless we go down that route. We just want them both to be happy!

Anyway, thank you for the advice - it was much appreciated!

To be honest, I highly doubt that your ASBO sows will accept any new boar but certainly not one who is ranked just above them and who they can totally dominate.

I have and have had a fair number of older sow - irrespective of whether they have lived with boars and other sows - who won't accept any newbies into their group (even if it is just a group of one). They may or may not mellow in very old age to consent living with other golden oldies.

Back