Bonding established pairs?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gemma
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gemma

Hiya

I was wondering if anyone could offer some views on a potential bonding. I have a neutered male and a female who have always lived together as far as I know (rehomed from a rescue last summer). Would it be possible do you think to bond further females to this pair or are they unlikely to accept them? If I do it will be into a brand new hutch, so neutral territory to all of them. It will be in my new shed and is being built by my husband so it will be able to be a very good size.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Gemma x

if you got a couple of babypigs it would probably be easier as they wouldnt challenge the existing pecking order. i put a couple of babyboars in with an established pair of adult boars and didnt have any problems until they matured, one baby grew huge and became the dominate one there were a few minor squeaky scuffles until the new pecking order was established.

Hiya

Thanks for your reply. It's a matter of trying to get my existing pigs into groups together, I've got the neutered male/female pair, a pair of 5mth oldish girls and a mother & daughter (the daughter is only 2weeks old at present). I'd like to get them living together if at all possible, or at least some of them.

Gemma x

I'm a bonding wuss but there are a lot of people on here with big groups and I understand that a neutered boar with a group of sows does tend to work. Hopefully someone who has done it will be along to say how exactly you go about it though!

Beaney said:
I'm a bonding wuss but there are a lot of people on here with big groups and I understand that a neutered boar with a group of sows does tend to work. Hopefully someone who has done it will be along to say how exactly you go about it though!
we just put Caramel straight in with our girls and he and they just bonded straight away
hes got a proper lil crew now following him about,we didnt have to introduce carefully or anything thankfully

Dustys going in tomm to be neutered so he can go with the other group of girls,I swear he knows whats gonna happen,hes all quiet in his lil house sulking

Lol at him sulking! It's not so much the boar himself, but the fact that he's been in a pair with Emily for so long that I was wondering if there are likely to be any problems, will an already bonded pair accept newcomers?

Thanks
Gemma x

Hi Gemma
In my experience it didn't work, I have a neutered male with 2 females & introduced an adult sow to them on neutral territory with lots of veg - neither of the sows accepted. I kept them together for a week but it got where she was permanantly glued to the inside of a pigloo & wouldn't come out to eat veg :( I then tried them again with 2 babies, again they did nothing but charge the babies & one ended up being bitten with blood drawn. :(

However, there are people who have had great success adding to a group. The only advice i can give you is to try it & if Emily is a quiet girl you stand a good chance as your neutered boy will be extremely happy whatever ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back