Bonding boars

• Thread starter Thread starter trance
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trance

Is it possible to bond adult boars? I have 2 both approx a year old and would like to bond them if poss.
How would I go about this and when could I leave them together if they seem to get on?

Yes, it is possible.

Have a good look through the Barmy 4 Boars website first.
http://www.susieandpigs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/optionsmenu.htm

Last September we bonded our 4 year old boar Sammy (who was very lonely following the death of his brother) with Rupert, who is about 2 1/2 years younger than Sam.
This is what we did:
First we put them in 2 separate cages/runs side by side so they could see/hear/smell each other but not touch.
After a week of this I tried them together on my lap. They were a bit tense and sat slightly apart but did not appear hostile. I had them out together on my lap for about an hour every evening for a week. By the end of this time they were relaxed and snuggling so I tried them together on neutral territory ( a large outdoor run) we got the usual 'dominance' stuff like rumblestrutting, mounting and nose-to-nose, but no actual fighting. From then, we put them together every time anybody was free to watch them, gradually reducing the level of supervision.

Some boars take to each other more quickly, but because it was our first time we didn't want to risk a fight, so we chose to take things slowly.

Hope that is some help.

Thanks and that site is fab! What I think I will do is try and have them seperated but next to each other. One of my piggies doesnt like any other piggies in his space, One was bullied but just wants a friend, bless him, and the last boar is very unsecure, is scared of first piggy but tolerates 2nd piggy. :)

trance said:
One of my piggies doesnt like any other piggies in his space, One was bullied but just wants a friend, bless him, and the last boar is very unsecure, is scared of first piggy but tolerates 2nd piggy. :)

I think if you take it slowly you may well be able to get No2 and No3 to bond - try them on a lap together a few times and see how they go. No1 would probably be better living 'next door' to them.

No2 and no 3 are now next to each other in cages, desperatley want to get C & C and just have to make room for no1 piggy. No3 piggy hasnt come out from hiding under hay yet, bless him.

I was dreading putting Sparkle( Honeys baby) in with Cinnamon and Bramble,but the weird thing is all 3 are swamp rescue piggies( well Sparkles mum was so hes kinda a swamp piggy anyway)
theyve all settled in fine with each other and Cinnamon and Sparkle are so alike in looks its hard to tell the diff ;D

Does it matter which two boars to bond? We have 5 single boars in our group right now and not having luck bonding any...very new to guinea pig bonding. Do we have to look at individual personalities and try to bond dominant to submissive type personalities?

Most of our guinea pigs are altered prior to adoption, but I have read/reasearched that altering boars does not alter their personality as far as aggression and getting along, etc. Is this accurate?

Sorry if I sound silly, like I said above, I have very little bonding experience (just two sets of females thus far).

Thanks for any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back