Bonding boar and sow

Loreeny

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have a young male piggie who I am getting neutered at the end of May. I then need to wait 6 weeks until I can find him a female. I have just met a lady who has a lonely sow piggie she no longer wants. If I was to keep her in a cage next to my Boar until he is neutered will this help with the bonding when I can finally introduce them on neutral territory?
Thanks for any advise!

Hi, I have a young male piggie who I am getting neutered at the end of May. I then need to wait 6 weeks until I can find him a female. I have just met a lady who has a lonely sow piggie she no longer wants. If I was to keep her in a cage next to my Boar until he is neutered will this help with the bonding when I can finally introduce them on neutral territory?
Thanks for any advise!

Hi

Yes, this can help with acceptance.

However, you have to make very sure that he cannot escape before he is safe since boars can amazingly athletic and determined to get to a sow in season - and those tend to be much stronger at first when a sow reacts to the presence of boar hormones and boar behaviours.

If you are using a C&C grid cage, then cable-ties are a must for the boar pen; you also need to peg a cover like a towel or some spare correx over the the strip by the divider on his side to prevent any jumping or climbing over the divider.

In terms of what to be aware of when getting piggies from local free-ads: Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

Hi

Yes, this can help with acceptance.

However, you have to make very sure that he cannot escape before he is safe since boars can amazingly athletic and determined to get to a sow in season - and those tend to be much stronger at first when a sow reacts to the presence of boar hormones and boar behaviours.

If you are using a C&C grid cage, then cable-ties are a must for the boar pen; you also need to peg a cover like a towel or some spare correx over the the strip by the divider on his side to prevent any jumping or climbing over the divider.

In terms of what to be aware of when getting piggies from local free-ads: Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Thank you. They would be in separate cages side by side. However they would be in my bedroom. Will my boar be very vocal with the excitement of a sow? My other pair ( 2 boars) they are in my daughters bedroom and sleep quietly through the night! I live in a small property and don’t have space in another room.
Thank you

Thank you. They would be in separate cages side by side. However they would be in my bedroom. Will my boar be very vocal with the excitement of a sow? My other pair ( 2 boars) they are in my daughters bedroom and sleep quietly through the night! I live in a small property and don’t have space in another room.
Thank you

The first few nights are certainly going to be lively, as well as whenever your girl comes into season. Sub-adult piggies can be very vocal and teenage boars highly sexed. Guinea pigs have a different sleeping rhythm to humans; they are most active around dawn and dusk but are out and about during the night and the day, browsing between naps.
You will also have to brace for some initial thick clouds of testosterone from all the boar excitement. It will eventually settle down.

Have you considered boar dating if you can get to a rescue offering this service so you'd have two boar pairs and could keep them on top of each other?

Back