Bonding behaviour expectations

KathT

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I recently lost a boar and a sow in the space of a week - traumatic times.😞 This leaves me with an older sow Bella (approx 5-6yo) and a young boar Fergus (just over 1 year old) I currently have them next to each other for company. They are both neutered and Bella was the submissive one in the sow relationship, whilst Fergus was the dominant one in the boars. I understand that bonding is a compatibility thing, and will eventually try and bond these two as a pair, but I’m unsure of what behaviour to expect with them both being neutered. Fergus does rumblestrut on his side of the grids and Bella makes submissive noises on the other. If they bond, will there be any sexual activity if Bella doesn’t come into season? I understand that mating in most animals is for breeding purposes. If anyone has any experience with a neutered mixed pairing, I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance.

I recently lost a boar and a sow in the space of a week - traumatic times.😞 This leaves me with an older sow Bella (approx 5-6yo) and a young boar Fergus (just over 1 year old) I currently have them next to each other for company. They are both neutered and Bella was the submissive one in the sow relationship, whilst Fergus was the dominant one in the boars. I understand that bonding is a compatibility thing, and will eventually try and bond these two as a pair, but I’m unsure of what behaviour to expect with them both being neutered. Fergus does rumblestrut on his side of the grids and Bella makes submissive noises on the other. If they bond, will there be any sexual activity if Bella doesn’t come into season? I understand that mating in most animals is for breeding purposes. If anyone has any experience with a neutered mixed pairing, I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance.

Hi

Please be aware that in guinea pigs dominance behaviour (including mounting) is right at the core of their hierarchical group society. it looks a lot like sexual mating but is actually exhibited by both genders.

Submissive sows will allow themselves to be dominance mounted as a signal of their acceptance of a more dominant boar during bonding.
Please also be aware that hormones can take over in a neutered boar just as much as in a full boar so they can go on a humping spree and lose the 'on' switch for their brains just as much as full boars; they also excrete loads of stinking testosterone laden pee, with which they mark 'their' sows. This is especially pronounced with younger boars unexpectedly finding themselves in a leading position but it can happen with adult boars at the height of their lives meeting sows for the first time as well. I would strongly recommend to conduct any bonding in a room that you can air and easily wipe down afterwards.

What you will not get with spayed sows is purely sexual mating about every two weeks since spayed sows do not come into season anymore once their ovaries have been removed so the pheromone trigger from sows coming into season is missing from their relationship.

Here is more information on what neutering does and does not in neutered boars: Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care
Here is our bonding guide with a special chapter on mixed gender bonding and what to expect: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

All the best!

I hope the bonding goes well.

I just wanted to add that both our boars were neutered prior to sexual maturity between 2-3 weeks old.
But both of them were capable of humping on occasion.
It was definitely far less than most neutered boars (who are typically neutered after reaching sexual maturity) but was a still a behaviour they would exhibit, showing clearly it isn't always sexually driven.

Back