Bonding babies

Stephv123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Sending you my very best wishes for a good bond. It would be wonderful if your 4 would live together. I can't help at all as I've only ever bonded boys!
Is it possible to bond a male with his three week old baby boys when I separate them from their mother?

:wel:
I have moved your post to its own new thread as it would be lost and not received any answers, given you had posted on somebody else’s thread.

How did you come to have a pregnant sow?

How many pups were born?
In answer to your question, yes you can put the baby boys temporarily in with their father. They can stay with him for guidance. From their teens (around 16 weeks), you will need to see whether they still wish to remain together or whether you need to start separating them out into pairs. Boars don’t really work if you try to keep more than two together long term.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

I have moved your post to its own new thread as it would be lost and not received any answers, given you had posted on somebody else’s thread.

How many pups were born?
In answer to your question, yes you can put the baby boys temporarily in with their father. They can stay with him for guidance. From their teens (around 16 weeks), you will need to see whether they still wish to remain together or whether you need to start separating them out into pairs. Boars don’t really work if you try to keep more than two together long term.

I ended up with a male that I was told was a female and my girls ended up pregnant. I have two boars that will be two weeks old Wednesday.

How many pups were born?

Is it good to regime the two boars together? Or, should I rehome one to someone with an older boar and let the other one stay with the dad?

Is it good to regime the two boars together? Or, should I rehome one to someone with an older boar and let the other one stay with the dad?
It would be helpful if you could tell us how many piggies you have, what their ages are, and what sex they are.
A lot will also depend on how much space you have for cages.

It would be helpful if you could tell us how many piggies you have, what their ages are, and what sex they are.
A lot will also depend on how much space you have for cages.
I have a male in a cage by himself, the two mothers who each have two babies, two boys and two girls. The dad was sold to me as a female so that’s why he’s now alone and the girls have babies. They’re all less than a year old. The girl babies will be three weeks old tomorrow and the boys are two weeks and two days old.

I have a male in a cage by himself, the two mothers who each have two babies, two boys and two girls. The dad was sold to me as a female so that’s why he’s now alone and the girls have babies. They’re all less than a year old. The girl babies will be three weeks old tomorrow and the boys are two weeks and two days old.

Obviously the girls can stay with their mothers.
The two boys can go in with the father upon separation but it is not likely to be able to be a long term arrangements. Three boars together generally does not work long term and once the babies reach their teens.
Make sure dad meets the male babies on neutral territory.

Dad can either be neutered, once six weeks post neuter safe can be bonded back in with the girls (following correct bonding procedure). This, I am aware, is not so easy in the US with knowledgeable vets being harder to find plus costs of neutering being sometimes prohibitive.
Or, he can be kept as a pair with one compatible male baby for life. Two boars together need a 180x60cm.

If you cannot keep the babies, then ensure when they are rehomed that they either go together, or that they only go to a home where they will be bonded with a single male.
Safest thing is to surrender any of the babies you cannot keep to a non kill shelter.

Cage sizes for the sows also depend on if you are keeping the female babies. For all four sows to be together in one cage, they require a space measuring 210x60cm.

Obviously the girls can stay with their mothers.
The two boys can go in with the father upon separation but it is not likely to be able to be a long term arrangements. Three boars together generally does not work long term and once the babies reach their teens.
Make sure dad meets the male babies on neutral territory.

Dad can either be neutered, once six weeks post neuter safe can be bonded back in with the girls (following correct bonding procedure). This, I am aware, is not so easy in the US with knowledgeable vets being harder to find plus costs of neutering being sometimes prohibitive.
Or, he can be kept as a pair with one compatible male baby for life. Two boars together need a 180x60cm.

If you cannot keep the babies, then ensure when they are rehomed that they either go together, or that they only go to a home where they will be bonded with a single male.
Safest thing is to surrender any of the babies you cannot keep to a non kill shelter.

Cage sizes for the sows also depend on if you are keeping the female babies. For all four sows to be together in one cage, they require a space measuring 210x60cm.
Ok. Thank you so much for your helpful information.

Back