Bonding babies with dad

Holden89

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm nearing the time of needing to separate baby boars from the girls. I read in the pinned posts that the boars can go in with dad... there are 5 in total so is that an okay number for dad? What age should they be removed and split? Both from dad and each other when splitting into pairs? One is also leaving to be bonded with a single boar, what age is it okay for him to go?

I'm really happy dad can have company but also really nervous since the babies are still small 😬

Yes it’s fine for babies to go in with dad.
They will need to be separated out from dad and split into pairs by around 16 weeks. You can of course do it sooner if you find issues occurring. By that time you should have an idea of which boys get on best.
The single one technically can go at 3 weeks of age because he is going to live with another/older piggy, although it can also be advised to wait until around 6 weeks of age so they are a bit bigger and stronger before being rehomed

Yes it’s fine for babies to go in with dad.
They will need to be separated out from dad and split into pairs by around 16 weeks. You can of course do it sooner if you find issues occurring. By that time you should have an idea of which boys get on best.
The single one technically can go at 3 weeks of age because he is going to live with another/older piggy, although it can also be advised to wait until around 6 weeks of age so they are a bit bigger and stronger before being rehomed
Thank you, that's good to know they can be together for another wee while then. Dad is getting neutered so he can go with the females. Will he be able to go back with the boys post neuter? Not sure how long he needs separated for after surgery and how easy they will take him back in the group? It would be nice if he could have company until he can be back with his ladies.

Thank you, that's good to know they can be together for another wee while then. Dad is getting neutered so he can go with the females. Will he be able to go back with the boys post neuter? Not sure how long he needs separated for after surgery and how easy they will take him back in the group? It would be nice if he could have company until he can be back with his ladies.

When is he being neutered?
He can go back on with the babies once he is home from his neuter. He shouldn’t need to be kept away from them at all.

Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Last edited:
When is he being neutered?
He can go back on with the babies once he is home from his neuter. He shouldn’t need to be kept away from them at all.

Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care
I'm not too sure... vet was supposed to call me back to arrange but still waiting. One was supposed to go to someone I know for her lone boar, but that might have fallen through so if it has, it won't be going ahead 😬

I bonded them yesterday and it went well 😊

Attachments

• 20220829_120334.webp
    20220829_120334.webp
    113.4 KB · Views: 6
Glad it went well. Now just watch them over the coming weeks to see who gets on with whom. Is it 6 boars you have altogether? Sorry the one being taken (possibly) fell through.

Glad it went well. Now just watch them over the coming weeks to see who gets on with whom. Is it 6 boars you have altogether? Sorry the one being taken (possibly) fell through.
Yeah, 6 boars although.

Back