Bonding and grooming?

Opiggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my piggy I got first was became decently ok with being pet and after I got him a buddy he regressed a bit but is now once again ok with being pet. However, he doesn’t like being handled picked up or much other than a simple head scratch. The new one I got still won’t let me pet him, how should I try to bond with him. The new one is a long hair but since I can’t pet him I also can’t cut his hair which definitely needs cut as it is getting matted from dragging in his poop. Do they need to get baths?

Regarding not wanting to be picked up and handled, that is normal. Most piggies don’t like it - that won’t necessarily change.

You can’t wait for them to want to be handled before you do the essentials because they may never want to be handled.

My rainbow bridge long haired boy didn’t like being stroked but I still had to deal with his hair cutting. Two of the three piggies I have don’t want to be held (one does like a cuddle) and that hasn’t changed in 6 years for the oldest and 18 months for the youngest but I herd them into a carrier, pick them up from there and carry out the weight checks, nail cutting etc anyway. It has ro be done.
When it same to hair cutting my long haired boy, I just did as much as he would tolerate each time - even if it meant he spent a week with only half his hair cut.

No they don’t routinely need baths

So my piggy I got first was became decently ok with being pet and after I got him a buddy he regressed a bit but is now once again ok with being pet. However, he doesn’t like being handled picked up or much other than a simple head scratch. The new one I got still won’t let me pet him, how should I try to bond with him. The new one is a long hair but since I can’t pet him I also can’t cut his hair which definitely needs cut as it is getting matted from dragging in his poop. Do they need to get baths?

Hi

Most piggies don't like being handled and petted for long or at all; nevertheless you need to crack on with any major grooming.

Here is how arrival in a home looks from the guinea pig perspective of piggies that haven't had much in the way of human contact beforehand: Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs

Here are tips on how you can work around prey animal instincts in new or frightened piggies: Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

Dealing with soiled long hair is better done with some judicious hair cutting than stressful baths unless he is really badly matted and soiled upon arrival and unless he is filthy all over, restrict yourself to a bum bath while sitting on the floor to minimise the risk of bad injuries from blind jumps in skittish new piggies. You can also use the calming presence of the companion and our whispering tips:
An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Bathing (including cleaning grease glands) (Only if absolulety needed as extremely stressful for skittish piggies)

Please be patient and take it slowly. The roots of trust need to grow deep before they can shoot up)

Please be aware that when you see pictures and read posts with piggies enjoying cuddles/being comfortable with handling it will have taken several months or even years of building a relationship and gaining trust. Even then some piggies only ever tolerate the necessary weekly checks.

Thanks I will keep this in mind, is it ok if I put in a new fleece liner I just got without washing it first? It says I should however I won’t have the time to before I leave tomorrow. And I want my boys to have a fresh fleece for the week I am gone. P.S don’t worry they have a sitter who has been well informed and I created veggie bags for each day!

Thanks I will keep this in mind, is it ok if I put in a new fleece liner I just got without washing it first? It says I should however I won’t have the time to before I leave tomorrow. And I want my boys to have a fresh fleece for the week I am gone. P.S don’t worry they have a sitter who has been well informed and I created veggie bags for each day!

You need to wash it first. Unwashed fleece probably won’t wick which means urine will just sit on top and your piggies could get damp

I agree, this is part of the reason for washing them first. Another factor is that they will almost certainly have residue on them from the manufacturing process. Sometimes this can be chemical, I suffer from excema and I have had flare ups caused by wearing clothes or using bed linens that haven't been washed first.

Back