Bonding advice

RinT

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I am happy to announce that my Boar is healthy enough to be neutered! Which means for the first time in his life (we believe around 2 and a half years), he will get a friend! We want to get him a sow but I wanted some advice - I know how to bond piggies together but would you guys suggest a baby or a 1 year old/older? The sow will be coming from a rescue :)

That’s great news!
Make sure he is six weeks post neuter before you bond as a boar is still fertile for the first six weeks

A successful bond comes down to character compatibility, not age.
Does the rescue offer dating? If so, then that is the best way as it allows the piggy to choose their own friend.
If they do not offer dating and you’ve got to make a choice on piggy, then it can sometimes be easier to choose a baby as bonding can be easier but there is no guarantee.

That’s great news!
Make sure he is six weeks post neuter before you bond as a boar is still fertile for the first six weeks

A successful bond comes down to character compatibility, not age.
Does the rescue offer dating? If so, then that is the best way as it allows the piggy to choose their own friend.
If they do not offer dating and you’ve got to make a choice on piggy, then it can sometimes be easier to choose a baby as bonding can be easier but there is no guarantee.
Thank you for your reply! My cousin works at the vet I take him too so she has booked him to be neutered on Monday :) I will ask the rescue about dating! I haven't contacted them yet as I only received this news today, but in the morning I will :)

Thank you for your reply! My cousin works at the vet I take him too so she has booked him to be neutered on Monday :) I will ask the rescue about dating! I haven't contacted them yet as I only received this news today, but in the morning I will :)

It’s definitely good to get on the rescues books early, you will be able to go through the home check process while he is waiting so as soon as he is ready then hopefully it’ll be full steam ahead!
Keep us posted on how things go!

It’s definitely good to get on the rescues books early, you will be able to go through the home check process while he is waiting so as soon as he is ready then hopefully it’ll be full steam ahead!
Keep us posted on how things go!
By "home check" do you mean someone from the rescue will come and see my boars living conditions and the conditions the sow will be in?

Due to recent times they may ask for photos of the housing and some other details. I don’t know if they’ve started doing home visits.

Due to recent times they may ask for photos of the housing and some other details. I don’t know if they’ve started doing home visits.
Okay, that's good to know! Thank you very much

Will you be bringing the sow home in the next week or so? If so, you’ll need to make sure that his cage is secure and he can’t escape. They can be very determined when there’s a sow nearby.

Will you be bringing the sow home in the next week or so? If so, you’ll need to make sure that his cage is secure and he can’t escape. They can be very determined when there’s a sow nearby.
No, I will be waiting until he is 6 weeks post neutering before bringing the sow in :) I've heard stories about boars getting out of their cage when a sow is near so I don't want to risk it, especially since I have moved his cage onto a table (it has helped a lot with his nerves as he is less worried about people towering over him.) and I don't want him to get hurt from falling. I would just like to know, how long do people usually bond their piggies for? I was thinking of leaving them in a bonding pen for around 2-3 hours

No, I will be waiting until he is 6 weeks post neutering before bringing the sow in :) I've heard stories about boars getting out of their cage when a sow is near so I don't want to risk it, especially since I have moved his cage onto a table (it has helped a lot with his nerves as he is less worried about people towering over him.) and I don't want him to get hurt from falling. I would just like to know, how long do people usually bond their piggies for? I was thinking of leaving them in a bonding pen for around 2-3 hours

As Siikibam has said, it’s usually done by pictures, emails and phone conversations now. They will want to know living arrangements, to ensure the cage is the right size and that you know about appropriate care, feeding etc

There’s no set time in the bonding pen but it is usually a few hours. You just don’t want to move them to the thoroughly cleaned out cage too soon

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

As Siikibam has said, it’s often done by pictures and phone conversations now. They will want to know living arrangements, to ensure the cage is the right size and that you know about appropriate care, feeding etc

There’s no set time in the bonding pen but it is usually a few hours. You just don’t want to move them to the thoroughly cleaned out cage too soon

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Perfect, thank you. If the rescue does provide dating, it is a good idea to do a bonding session at home as well? I saw a few videos that did dating and bonding when home, and others that put them in the cage after the dating

Perfect, thank you. If the rescue does provide dating, it is a good idea to do a bonding session at home as well? I saw a few videos that did dating and bonding when home, and others that put them in the cage after the dating

It depends on the kind of dating.

If it is a proper bonding - your piggy goes to stay at the rescue for a few days, the bonding is done, they continue to stay at the rescue for a day or two together after bonding to ensure all is definitely well. They can then come home in the same carrier and go straight into the cage they are to live in. No bonding yourself necessary.

If it is speed dating - a short session done at the rescue to gauge acceptance (but will not likely be enough time to get through all the stages of bonding), then they need to come home in separate carriers (to ensure no fights can occur in a confined space when the piggies are not familiar with each other) and you will then have to do the full bonding at home yourself

It depends on the kind of dating.

If it is a proper bonding - your piggy goes to stay at the rescue for a few days, the bonding is done, they continue to stay at the rescue for a day or two together after bonding to ensure all is definitely well. They can then come home in the same carrier and go straight into the cage they are to live in. No bonding yourself necessary.

If it is speed dating - a short session done at the rescue to gauge acceptance (but will not likely be enough time to get through all the stages of bonding), then they need to come home in separate carriers (to ensure no fights can occur in a confined space when the piggies are not familiar with each other) and you will then have to do the full bonding at home yourself
Thank you so much for your help! I will contact the rescue tomorrow and ask for more information :)

Back