Bonding a single pig with an existing pair - is it possible?

Freya1234

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,
Unfortunately only this morning I lost Smokey my 6 year old pig, leaving Winston alone. I had already decided when Smokey was ill I want to get Winston some girlfriends since he’s neutered and I’d like to expand the guinea pig family!
Since it took almost 6 weeks for me to manage to find and arrange getting Winston after I lost Smudge and it being new years I assumed it may be similar again this time in finding him some new friends, so clearly very prematurely filled out an adoption form earlier and they have called me to say they have a female pair I can look at so I am going to see them tomorrow. This has happened a lot quicker than I expected and does feel way too soon for me however I am trying to put Winston’s need for company first, since he’s a very outgoing piggie who clearly thrives in company- another reason why I swiftly made an enquiry.
I wanted to ask if adding a male guinea pig (1yrs) to a bonded pair of females (2/3yrs) is possible or if this is likely to end in disaster?

On a side note very interestingly after we’d taken Smokey out of the cage to bury him we sat with Winston for a bit who is hiding but he appeared in the doorway of his little house and started chirping! I know this is quite uncommon and the reason is usually unknown but I wonder if he was doing it trying to call for some guinea pigs since he felt a bit nervous and uneasy now he’s by himself.

Hi all,
Unfortunately only this morning I lost Smokey my 6 year old pig, leaving Winston alone. I had already decided when Smokey was ill I want to get Winston some girlfriends since he’s neutered and I’d like to expand the guinea pig family!
Since it took almost 6 weeks for me to manage to find and arrange getting Winston after I lost Smudge and it being new years I assumed it may be similar again this time in finding him some new friends, so clearly very prematurely filled out an adoption form earlier and they have called me to say they have a female pair I can look at so I am going to see them tomorrow. This has happened a lot quicker than I expected and does feel way too soon for me however I am trying to put Winston’s need for company first, since he’s a very outgoing piggie who clearly thrives in company- another reason why I swiftly made an enquiry.
I wanted to ask if adding a male guinea pig (1yrs) to a bonded pair of females (2/3yrs) is possible or if this is likely to end in disaster?

On a side note very interestingly after we’d taken Smokey out of the cage to bury him we sat with Winston for a bit who is hiding but he appeared in the doorway of his little house and started chirping! I know this is quite uncommon and the reason is usually unknown but I wonder if he was doing it trying to call for some guinea pigs since he felt a bit nervous and uneasy now he’s by himself.
Sorry for your loss of Smokey :hug:
It's good of you to put Winston's need for companionship first. Hopefully he will get on well with the two sows, but it all depends on their personalities. My Squeaks bonded with a pair, Winifred and Rosemary, when they were all 2-3 years old. But @Bill & Ted 's Posh and Ginger didn't get on with new boar Hector at all! All you can do is try...and hope 🤞🙏

Sorry for your loss of Smokey. I think you are wonderful for prioritising Winston's welfare. Do you think the chirping may have been a farewell?
I hope the bonding goes well and you can have a nice little herd.

I have everything crossed that they all like each other tomorrow. It really is down to character compatibility. Good luck!

Sorry for your loss of Smokey. I think you are wonderful for prioritising Winston's welfare. Do you think the chirping may have been a farewell?
I hope the bonding goes well and you can have a nice little herd.
Maybe it could have! I’d love to know the true reason for it but it was so fascinating to watch, it was much more low level and slower than the videos I’ve seen online but no doubt he was chirping about something

Thank you all for your well wishes and kind words.☺️
The official bonding won’t be tomorrow as I’m just going to meet the pigs and the fosterer before anything official is in place, but I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for the bonding as it seems like with all bonds it’s just some luck! Will make sure Winston puts his best suit and tie on for it 🤣

Oh what a handsome boy. I'm sure the ladypigs will find him irresistible ♥️

Back