Bonding a new pig- hutch?

Honey&truffle

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My Guinea pigs friend sadly passed away today😢 so she’s left lonely now . My sister in law has 7 Guinea pigs and said I can have whichever one I want for my guinea pigs new friend . My Guinea pig lives in a 6ft double hutch at the moment . I’m wondering What is the best way to find the best matched friend for her out of them and how?

Much appreciated ❤️

I’m sorry for your loss

It all comes down to character compatibility and mutual liking so the reality is, you won’t know which piggy will work until you try her with one.

You need to put them on neutral territory for the introduction. They will need to be in that neutral space for several hours to get through the early stages of bonding. If acceptance happens and after few hours together the bond looks to be successful, you will need to clean down your hutch as thoroughly as you can. You don’t want your existing piggy to see it as her territory and refuse to let the new piggy in.
It then takes two weeks for the bond to be fully formed.

If the bonding fails (which can happen either at first introduction or at any time during the two weeks), you can then hopefully try her with another one.

The guide below explains further.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

I’m sorry for your loss

It all comes down to character compatibility and mutual liking so the reality is, you won’t know which piggy will work until you try her with one.

You need to put them on neutral territory for the introduction. They will need to be in that neutral space for several hours to get through the early stages of bonding. If acceptance happens and after few hours together the bond looks to be successful, you will need to clean down your hutch as thoroughly as you can. You don’t want your existing piggy to see it as her territory and refuse to let the new piggy in.
It then takes two weeks for the bond to be fully formed.

If the bonding fails (which can happen either at first introduction or at any time during the two weeks), you can then hopefully try her with another one.

The guide below explains further.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Thank you! If they look like they are getting on and I have got the hutch ready . Would this be safe to leave them overnight together or would you seperate at night for a while . Because I work full time you see so it’s going to be tricky with the timings . I will have to get my parents to check on them .

Thank you! If they look like they are getting on and I have got the hutch ready . Would this be safe to leave them overnight together or would you seperate at night for a while . Because I work full time you see so it’s going to be tricky with the timings . I will have to get my parents to check on them .

You need to leave them together, if successful, at all times. You cannot separate at night at all. If you separate for no reason then you stop the bonding and they have to start again when you reintroduce them. Done too much can ruin what might have been a successful bond.
Now, with sows there is a little more leeway if you are dealing with fear aggression in that you can separate and then reintroduce to do it a bit at a time to help settle a fear aggressive piggy. But in a successful introduction where fear is not a factor, please do not separate at any time

You need to leave them together, if successful, at all times. You cannot separate at night at all. If you separate for no reason then you stop the bonding and they have to start again when you reintroduce them. Done too much can ruin what might have been a successful bond.
Now, with sows there is a little more leeway if you are dealing with fear aggression in that you can separate and then reintroduce to do it a bit at a time to help settle a fear aggressive piggy. But in a successful introduction where fear is not a factor, please do not separate at any time
Oh that makes sense ! So if it’s successful for a few hours I can bring her straight back with honey and put into the hutch? I suppose I’m just scared they will hurt eachother when I’m not watching them . It’s difficult when they are outside

Oh that makes sense ! So if it’s successful for a few hours I can bring her straight back with honey and put into the hutch? I suppose I’m just scared they will hurt eachother when I’m not watching them . It’s difficult when they are outside

You can, as long as the hutch is neutralised as much as you can

Yes if is a bit of a concern being outside. I bonded two of my single boars last week and they live out in my shed. I watched them in neutral territory for three hours, then moved them back into the shed and watched them for a further two hours before I relaxed a bit more. Was a nerve wracking night and as soon as I was up I went out to check on them the next morning!

You can, as long as the hutch is neutralised as much as you can

Yes if is a bit of a concern being outside. I bonded two of my single boars last week and they live out in my shed. I watched them in neutral territory for three hours, then moved them back into the shed and watched them for a further two hours before I relaxed a bit more. Was a nerve wracking night and as soon as I was up I went out to check on them the next morning!
Yeah I’m going to leave it until the weekend I think so I have all day to watch and observe . I would be the same as you getting up and checking on them asap. I don’t think my girl would be the one to fight it just depends on the other pigs as I don’t know their personalities just yet . She was the dominant one out of my 2 so it would be interesting if she still will be.

Yeah I’m going to leave it until the weekend I think so I have all day to watch and observe . I would be the same as you getting up and checking on them asap. I don’t think my girl would be the one to fight it just depends on the other pigs as I don’t know their personalities just yet . She was the dominant one out of my 2 so it would be interesting if she still will be.

she is likely to still be - dominant sows don’t tend to want to lose position. You should choose a pig at the bottom of the hierarchy in your sister in law’s herd as that way she is more likely to just submit to your piggy.
There is no guarantee it’ll make a bonding work as they still need do like each other, but it increases your chances. (If you choose the top sow in your sister in law’s hers then your piggy and her are likely to fight and the herd then has to choose a new leader which will disrupt them also)

she is likely to still be - dominant sows don’t tend to want to lose position. You should choose a pig at the bottom of the hierarchy in your sister in law’s herd as that way she is more likely to just submit to your piggy.
There is no guarantee it’ll make a bonding work as they still need do like each other, but it increases your chances. (If you choose the top sow in your sister in law’s hers then your piggy and her are likely to fight and the herd then has to choose a new leader which will disrupt them also)

That’s really helpful thank you , I didn’t even think of the hierarchy thing ! I defiently don’t want to cause any harm my sister in laws end

When I put the pigs Into the hutch after I’ve introduced them . What sort of stuff do I need in the hutch as I’m worried they won’t share things . Would a big hide be okay or would I need 2 hides so they have their own ?

When I put the pigs Into the hutch after I’ve introduced them . What sort of stuff do I need in the hutch as I’m worried they won’t share things . Would a big hide be okay or would I need 2 hides so they have their own ?

No, one big hide isn’t ok, you don’t want them to be forced to share anything because they might not want to and then
You need two of everything - two hides and both hides must have two doors in them, two bottles. Scatter feed veg and pellets (ie don’t use bowls) so they can forage which is great mental stimulation but also it stops the risk of any food hogging. Make sure hay is everywhere in the hutch

No, one big hide isn’t ok, you don’t want them to be forced to share anything because they might not want to and then
You need two of everything - two hides and both hides must have two doors in them, two bottles. Scatter feed veg and pellets (ie don’t use bowls) so they can forage which is great mental stimulation but also it stops the risk of any food hogging. Make sure hay is everywhere in the hutch
I’m assuming if they get along well in the long term I can then change the hutch around . It’s just to see if they are going to share etc . I use wood shavings so it might be quite hard to scatter veg and pellets around .

I’m assuming if they get along well in the long term I can then change the hutch around . It’s just to see if they are going to share etc . I use wood shavings so it might be quite hard to scatter veg and pellets around .

Not necessarily. Any change can constitute a change in territory and can upset the dominance balance as they feel the need to reestablish in any new territory. Some pairs are more affected by it than others

It doesn’t matter whether they do choose to share, there must still always be two of everything in the cage.

I also use shavings and I always scatter feed - it just goes mostly into their hay piles but also spills into the shavings

Not necessarily. Any change can constitute a change in territory and can upset the dominance balance as they feel the need to reestablish in any new territory. Some pairs are more affected by it than others

It doesn’t matter whether they do choose to share, there must still always be two of everything in the cage.

I also use shavings and I always scatter feed - it just goes mostly into their hay piles but also spills into the shavings
I think my girls just got on really well before . I only had a big hide downstairs, a tunnel and a litter tray and they used to share and get on so well. So this is all so diffeeent to me . Does a tunnel class as a hide ?

I think my girls just got on really well before . I only had a big hide downstairs, a tunnel and a litter tray and they used to share and get on so well. So this is all so diffeeent to me . Does a tunnel class as a hide ?
And I’ve always had 1 bottle . But I’m definelty going to get another for a new piggy . Cuz idk what she’s going to be like

Even in pairs who get on well, you still should always have two of absolutely everything.

I dont count a tunnel such as a cardboard tunnel as a hide - I consider it a toy.

Even in pairs who get on well, you still should always have two of absolutely everything.

I dont count a tunnel such as a cardboard tunnel as a hide - I consider it a toy.
Yeah I understand that. Although I have a 6ft double hutch I find it hard to fit hides in there because I like there to be a lot of free space to walk around . Maybe I will make some cardboard hides .

Yeah I understand that. Although I have a 6ft double hutch I find it hard to fit hides in there because I like there to be a lot of free space to walk around . Maybe I will make some cardboard hides .

I also have a 6ft hutch. I put a hide at each end (with space so they can walk fully around it ( never want any dead ends)) and then a huge pile of hay which basically takes up the whole middle. If I have a cardboard tunnel or two then they tend to go leading into the hay pile from either end.

I also have a 6ft hutch. I put a hide at each end (with space so they can walk fully around it ( never want any dead ends)) and then a huge pile of hay which basically takes up the whole middle. If I have a cardboard tunnel or two then they tend to go leading into the hay pile from either end.
That sounds a good set up! Do you think a litter tray is a bad idea . I love it because it keeps it tidy and they love jumping into it and digging in it . But with it there it loses space for more hides . As I’ve got a ramp too the ramp takes space up as I’ve got to leave it free so they can get to it .

That sounds a good set up! Do you think a litter tray is a bad idea . I love it because it keeps it tidy and they love jumping into it and digging in it . But with it there it loses space for more hides . As I’ve got a ramp too the ramp takes space up as I’ve got to leave it free so they can get to it .

I don’t think a litter tray is a bad idea per se, it’s just that personally I don’t see the point for outdoor piggies.
As outdoor piggies, in winter (if out year round) need the hutch filled with hay fully for warmth and insulation.
They would love just a loose hay pile as well. I don’t bother with trying to contain hay in any way - I just throw it in! (plus a tray is just another thing to need to clean!).

I don’t think a litter tray is a bad idea per se, it’s just that personally I don’t see the point for outdoor piggies.
As outdoor piggies, in winter (if out year round) need the hutch filled with hay fully for warmth and insulation.
They would love just a loose hay pile as well. I don’t bother with trying to contain hay in any way - I just throw it in! (plus a tray is just another thing to need to clean!).
I know what you mean but i find it so hard to clean when it’s like that . Don’t get me wrong the bed area is full of hay that’s all that’s in there . It’s like a massive loose hay pile . But downstairs it’s just the litter tray!

Here’s my girl tonight. She loves coming up to bed when it gets dark (there’s normally more hay , I put less in because it’s hot at the moment and she’s by herself)

Attachments

• IMG_7736.webp
    IMG_7736.webp
    38.8 KB · Views: 1
I know what you mean but i find it so hard to clean when it’s like that . Don’t get me wrong the bed area is full of hay that’s all that’s in there . It’s like a massive loose hay pile . But downstairs it’s just the litter tray!

Here’s my girl tonight. She loves coming up to bed when it gets dark (there’s normally more hay , I put less in because it’s hot at the moment and she’s by herself)

Are your sister in laws piggies used to being in a two storey hutch or do they live single level? I’m asking this because if the new piggy you get isn’t used to it then it could become an issue, even if only for the short term. Not all piggies will use ramps - some take to it straight away, others take time to used to it, some refuse to. With only having one bed area upstairs, it could pose the issue that she may never go up there to use it.
Also, your piggy (if dominant) might claim the ramp as her own and refuse to let the other use it (as it what can happen with a dominant piggy). (This is why I never use two storey hutches or cages).
Just something to bear in mind in case - she gets told she had to stay downstairs/isn’t able to learn how to do the ramp - that you may need downstairs to provide the same (including in terms of warmth and insulation) as upstairs. And/or for you to be prepared to block off access to upstairs if there are issues.

What about it makes it harder for you to clean? Perhaps we can come up with some suggestions to help you?

I have three pigs. I scoop everything up in a dustpan and throw it in the bucket. Sweep over with the brush to get any last bits, spray with F10, refill and it’s done. About 5 minutes per cage.
Mine are in c&c cages in the shed now following bond breaks and a death of one of a pair (and then a subsequent new bonding). I have 6ft hutches outside if it’s too hot to be in the shed but not dry enough to be on the lawn. I have a 2x3 c&c in the shed for a single pig, a 4x3 c&c in the shed for a newly bonded pair (until a week ago there was three separate 2x3 c&c).
I also have a 120 sq ft rabbit enclosure which contains a 6ft hutch.

Are your sister in laws piggies used to being in a two storey hutch or do they live single level? I’m asking this because if the new piggy you get isn’t used to it then it could become an issue, even if only for the short term. Not all piggies will use ramps - some take to it straight away, others take time to used to it, some refuse to. With only having one bed area upstairs, it could pose the issue that she may never go up there to use it.
Also, your piggy (if dominant) might claim the ramp as her own and refuse to let the other use it (as it what can happen with a dominant piggy). (This is why I never use two storey hutches or cages).
Just something to bear in mind in case - she gets told she had to stay downstairs/isn’t able to learn how to do the ramp - that you may need downstairs to provide the same (including in terms of warmth and insulation) as upstairs. And/or for you to be prepared to block off access to upstairs if there are issues.

What about it makes it harder for you to clean? Perhaps we can come up with some suggestions to help you?

I have three pigs. I scoop everything up in a dustpan and throw it in the bucket. Sweep over with the brush to get any last bits, spray with F10, refill and it’s done. About 5 minutes per cage.
Mine are in c&c cages in the shed now following bond breaks and a death of one of a pair (and then a subsequent new bonding). I have 6ft hutches outside if it’s too hot to be in the shed but not dry enough to be on the lawn. I have a 2x3 c&c in the shed for a single pig, a 4x3 c&c in the shed for a newly bonded pair (until a week ago there was three separate 2x3 c&c).
I also have a 120 sq ft rabbit enclosure which contains a 6ft hutch.
Yeah my sister in laws piggies are in like a big kennel area on the floor . I have thought about the ramp actually, I am going to put carpet on it to start with as it helped my girls when they were getting used to it . I had to teach my 2 to go up and down the ramp so I know this is going to be an issue and it’s going to take a lot of time and watching . And yeah I’m not sure what my girl is going to be like with a new friend . But I have plenty of options with pigs, I can also try a local rescue to try and find her the bestest friend . (They said I can exchange if don’t get on) .

I definelty don’t want any of them to get pushed out so I’m going to spend hours and hours watching them over the weekend and whatever happens I will try and come up with a solution somehow.

I just find when hay is mixed in with the wood shavings and I’m out to spot clean it’s hard to find the wet areas etc.

But yeah I will just have to see how they get on.

Yeah my sister in laws piggies are in like a big kennel area on the floor . I have thought about the ramp actually, I am going to put carpet on it to start with as it helped my girls when they were getting used to it . I had to teach my 2 to go up and down the ramp so I know this is going to be an issue and it’s going to take a lot of time and watching . And yeah I’m not sure what my girl is going to be like with a new friend . But I have plenty of options with pigs, I can also try a local rescue to try and find her the bestest friend . (They said I can exchange if don’t get on) .

I definelty don’t want any of them to get pushed out so I’m going to spend hours and hours watching them over the weekend and whatever happens I will try and come up with a solution somehow.

I just find when hay is mixed in with the wood shavings and I’m out to spot clean it’s hard to find the wet areas etc.

But yeah I will just have to see how they get on.

I guess they could be the difference with spot cleaning - the shavings I use aren’t light fluffy shavings, I use snowflake soft chip which is small but heavier pieces of chipped wood. the wet areas are obvious as once peed on and dried the chips are a slightly darker colour, even when mixed with the hay it’s all very obvious - I just use a garden trowel to pick up the whole area (including the hay, even if some of it is still dry) and remove it. Takes just a few seconds.

I guess they could be the difference with spot cleaning - the shavings I use aren’t light fluffy shavings, I use snowflake soft chip which is small but heavier pieces of chipped wood. the wet areas are obvious as once peed on and dried the chips are a slightly darker colour, even when mixed with the hay it’s all very obvious - I just use a garden trowel to pick up the whole area (including the hay, even if some of it is still dry) and remove it. Takes just a few seconds.
Yeah that makes sense with the wood shavings ! I use snowflake supreme Woodshavings so they are easily kicked around . But I find they are very good at absorbing as the wet goes to the bottom and leaves it dry on the top so sometimes I can’t even see when it’s wet . I do scoop it out when I do a proper clean out and get rid of everything but I also spot clean in between!

What are good and bad signs of bonding ? I was going to resesrvh this but because you’ve been bonding recently it would be good to hear your experience :)

Yeah that makes sense with the wood shavings ! I use snowflake supreme Woodshavings so they are easily kicked around . But I find they are very good at absorbing as the wet goes to the bottom and leaves it dry on the top so sometimes I can’t even see when it’s wet . I do scoop it out when I do a proper clean out and get rid of everything but I also spot clean in between!

What are good and bad signs of bonding ? I was going to resesrvh this but because you’ve been bonding recently it would be good to hear your experience :)

The snowflake softchip lets it go to the bottom and the top stays dry but because it dries a darker colour, it’s easy to see.

I bonded two boars but basically its leave them to it unless they fight! Refusing to interact with each other is a sign that things may not go well.
You are going to see a range of dominance behaviours during the early stages and for the following two weeks after bonding.
Sows are less likely to have a full on fight but it can still happen if they really dont like each other.
As you are bonding sows you can expect the first season after bonding to be quite a feisty one.

This guide explains the whole process including behaviours in detail - Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

The snowflake softchip lets it go to the bottom and the top stays dry but because it dries a darker colour, it’s easy to see.

I bonded two boars but basically its leave them to it unless they fight! Refusing to interact with each other is a sign that things may not go well.
You are going to see a range of dominance behaviours during the early stages and for the following two weeks after bonding.
Sows are less likely to have a full on fight but it can still happen if they really dont like each other.
As you are bonding sows you can expect the first season after bonding to be quite a feisty one.

This guide explains the whole process including behaviours in detail - Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
My girl has been spayed would this make a difference with a girl that hasn’t ? I do feel like she is quite independent so I’m not sure if she’s not going to be that interactive with anyone but who knows . I will take a read of that thank you.
It’s just going to be really strange for her because all she’s known is truffle her whole life and shes 4 and never met other pigs other than as a baby.

My girl has been spayed would this make a difference with a girl that hasn’t ? I do feel like she is quite independent so I’m not sure if she’s not going to be that interactive with anyone but who knows . I will take a read of that thank you.
It’s just going to be really strange for her because all she’s known is truffle her whole life and shes 4 and never met other pigs other than as a baby.

Being spayed won’t make any difference to the bonding process, whether they get on or to the other girl. Its going to come down purely to whether they are compatible and you won’t know until you try.

Being spayed won’t make any difference to the bonding process, whether they get on or to the other girl. Its going to come down purely to whether they are compatible and you won’t know until you try.
Thank you for your help. Just one last question sorry, would I start bonding with a pig around about the same age as her .

Back