Bonding a boar trio & new herd members!

Fur & Feathers

Competition Winner!
Reaction score
A few days ago I was asked by a family member to take in their guineas, two sows and a boar (living separately).
I agreed to take the girls to attempt to bond with my herd, on the condition that they'd take them back if it didn't work out (I don't have space to keep them separate). I said I couldn't really take the boy as I already have two boys and boar trios don't often work.
Well, I ended up with them all... and a rabbit!
So I started by bonding the sows with my herd (4 sows & neutered boar). Pleased to say it was a smooth, quick bond. Isidor the boar was very happy with his new ladies!
Onto the boar, I was reluctant to try and bond him with my boys, as I know it doesn't often work and could break up their bond, but I decided to give it a go. I let them see/smell each other through the bars for a while. Then started on neutral territory, with all three in the run together and me ready with my gloves and a cup of tea, to supervise the bonding.
It started with alot of mutal humping between Benji (dominant one of my pair) and Flynn (new boy). After a long while, it settled down a bit. All three were grazing together, washing near each other, and Benji even had a nap right next to Flynn.
I carried on supervising until it started to get dark, then put them in the enclosure together overnight. The enclosure is 8ft x 8ft so plenty of space for them to get away from each other. I removed all one-entrance hides and added multiple water bowls and hay piles.
Went out to check them in the morning and they all seemed happy, Benji & Flynn were sitting together watching the girl guineas. A little bit of rumble strutting but other then that they were fine.
I know its still early days but I'm so happy they've bonded :)
The bunny is being bonded with my already bonded male & female pair, which is all going well so far.

So here are the new members of my Tribe:

20220519_191052.webp
Camella & Nana the sows. I love the crazy hair, I believe they are both Peruvians?

20220519_175223.webp
New boy, Flynn, in the middle (white one) with my other boars Benji (left) and Forest (right).

20220519_175528.webp
Winola the bunny. Just a big ball of fluff!

A few days ago I was asked by a family member to take in their guineas, two sows and a boar (living separately).
I agreed to take the girls to attempt to bond with my herd, on the condition that they'd take them back if it didn't work out (I don't have space to keep them separate). I said I couldn't really take the boy as I already have two boys and boar trios don't often work.
Well, I ended up with them all... and a rabbit!
So I started by bonding the sows with my herd (4 sows & neutered boar). Pleased to say it was a smooth, quick bond. Isidor the boar was very happy with his new ladies!
Onto the boar, I was reluctant to try and bond him with my boys, as I know it doesn't often work and could break up their bond, but I decided to give it a go. I let them see/smell each other through the bars for a while. Then started on neutral territory, with all three in the run together and me ready with my gloves and a cup of tea, to supervise the bonding.
It started with alot of mutal humping between Benji (dominant one of my pair) and Flynn (new boy). After a long while, it settled down a bit. All three were grazing together, washing near each other, and Benji even had a nap right next to Flynn.
I carried on supervising until it started to get dark, then put them in the enclosure together overnight. The enclosure is 8ft x 8ft so plenty of space for them to get away from each other. I removed all one-entrance hides and added multiple water bowls and hay piles.
Went out to check them in the morning and they all seemed happy, Benji & Flynn were sitting together watching the girl guineas. A little bit of rumble strutting but other then that they were fine.
I know its still early days but I'm so happy they've bonded :)
The bunny is being bonded with my already bonded male & female pair, which is all going well so far.

So here are the new members of my Tribe:

View attachment 203360
Camella & Nana the sows. I love the crazy hair, I believe they are both Peruvians?

View attachment 203361
New boy, Flynn, in the middle (white one) with my other boars Benji (left) and Forest (right).

View attachment 203363
Winola the bunny. Just a big ball of fluff!

Glad that all has gone well for you! You must be so chuffed. :yahoo:

Adult (middle aged to older) boars whose testosterone has settled down and is gradually running out are much easier to bond and often more accepting of other adult boars.
But it still very much comes down to whether they want to be with each other or not and whether they are laid back enough to be compatible - that is very much the unpredictable part; as well as being aware that the stress of a bonding can come down between the bonded couple, in which case you need to act very quickly and abort so you don't end up with three single boys. A working boar trio is a thing of joy.

PS: The girls are both perus.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new family members. How lovely that those boys are getting on in a trio.

Back