Bonding 5 & 7 week males

Timthepig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! We recently purchased our 7 week male, Timmy, & decided pretty quick to get him a friend (we live in a pretty rural area so rescues are about 3-4 hours away min) enter the 5/6 week old male, Hammy. Today they were formally introduced as the large cage we ordered arrived. I read the bonding guides and supplimentary information but would like confirmation that this is so far the beginning successful friendship....
There has been some mounting by Timmy but not excessive, Hammy cleaned himself beside Timmy and was shortly reciprocated by Timmy - about 10(?) min later. After no major issues for about 1 hour in the neurtal area so we moved them to the new cage with fresh bedding washed dishes/tunnel etc. They are very vocal - some chirping? noises but they have slept together in the tunnel. I have also seen them eating hay close to each other but then Hammy will often dart away. Overall they have now been together for 4 hours.
Am I being over confident? Something I need to watch for? I need to leave the cage room to attend other chores - i think they should be okay now?

All sounds absolutely fine so far!
So ideally they would have been in neutral territory for several hours before being moved to the cage but actually it sounds as if all is fine. The full bonding and hierarchy sorting takes two weeks but as babies they are likely to be fine.

The reality is that only time will tell and you won’t really know how things will be until they hit their teens with the worst time being 4-6 months of age, with the teens ending at 14 months of age.

Hello! I have two male guinea pigs, now around two, and two and a half years old. They are happily bonded and haven't fought in over four months. When I got my first guinea pig, he was very inactive and not engaged in many enrichments, I knew he needed another pig to accompany him so I adopted another one, half a year older. He was timid when we first introduced him ( through cage bars ) But as soon as we put them in the same environment they became more aggressive, my younger guinea pig was constantly mounting and occasionally biting my older pig if he was too close. I thought about separating them but I could see them becoming closer, I had found them sleeping in the same hide and sharing food from the same bowl, eventually, they had almost completely bonded and rarely fought. Now they have almost no problem being with each other and even show signs of affection.

Mounting is never aggression. It is normal dominance and you never separate for normal dominance.

Biting is aggression.
Nipping is not aggression. It looks like biting but it never breaks the skin and simply lets the pig feel the teeth without hurting them. It’s a gesture of power.

Back