Bonding 3 guinea pigs new to each other - advice please!

Guineamum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
We lost two guinea pigs within a couple of months of each other for different reasons, which left us with one sow around 2y. We ended up getting a neutered boar and a sow from a rescue, both 18m. We have a 2 storey c&c which we've been able to divide up as boar still has some weeks until he's able to be with girls. We've been guinea pig owners for 10 years and have had boars before, and neutered boars, but this one seems extremely shy and quiet. The sow has had some bonding time in a neutral space with our guinea pig Bea, who's a confident but caring and nurturing piggie. She's incredibly shy and quiet too. Neither new pigs are wheaking at all. Bea seems a lot happier now that she's got friends (she was only alone for 3 days) but the others are just so quiet. It is only our first night, but as our last 3 got on so well, I'm worried now that these are not going to be compatible. Any advice from seasoned guinea pig owners or is it just a case of time will tell? Many thanks 😊
P.S haven't fully decided on names for the new ones yet...

Hi everyone,
We lost two guinea pigs within a couple of months of each other for different reasons, which left us with one sow around 2y. We ended up getting a neutered boar and a sow from a rescue, both 18m. We have a 2 storey c&c which we've been able to divide up as boar still has some weeks until he's able to be with girls. We've been guinea pig owners for 10 years and have had boars before, and neutered boars, but this one seems extremely shy and quiet. The sow has had some bonding time in a neutral space with our guinea pig Bea, who's a confident but caring and nurturing piggie. She's incredibly shy and quiet too. Neither new pigs are wheaking at all. Bea seems a lot happier now that she's got friends (she was only alone for 3 days) but the others are just so quiet. It is only our first night, but as our last 3 got on so well, I'm worried now that these are not going to be compatible. Any advice from seasoned guinea pig owners or is it just a case of time will tell? Many thanks 😊
P.S haven't fully decided on names for the new ones yet...

Hi

Your new piggies are likely not used to the scary new environment of pet home. Give them time to settle in and get their bearings. They may always remain that bit more skittish but you will eventually get there with patience and persistence, even if it can be an '1 step forward and 2 steps back' uphill battle at the start.

You may find the links below helpful in understanding where your rescue piggies are coming from; what prey animal instincts are and how you can best work around very scared piggies on a high trigger alert by avoiding coming across as a predator and by inviting them to become part of your own piggy group.
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In

Hi

Your new piggies are likely not used to the scary new environment of pet home. Give them time to settle in and get their bearings. They may always remain that bit more skittish but you will eventually get there with patience and persistence, even if it can be an '1 step forward and 2 steps back' uphill battle at the start.

You may find the links below helpful in understanding where your rescue piggies are coming from; what prey animal instincts are and how you can best work around very scared piggies on a high trigger alert by avoiding coming across as a predator and by inviting them to become part of your own piggy group.
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In
Thank you very much, these are so helpful! I love the guinea pig whispering tips. 😊

Thank you very much, these are so helpful! I love the guinea pig whispering tips. 😊
Here is our list of behaviours, so you can use more to understand and to communicate with your piggies: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

These links are all part of our pretty extensive and very useful information resource (you may want to bookmark the link, browse, read and re-read at need). The guides format allows us to update and extend at need and as we have extra spare time on top of volunteering for the forum.
Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

Back