Bonding 2 pairs of sows

Vicky2021

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 2 Pairs of sows living separately.

My lovely girls are Molly & Bubbles (one year old - sisters) blonde pig & dark
Cinnamon and Dorito (mother & daughter duo). Cinnamon is 2 and Dorito is one. (White/brown & dark/ginger)

I’d love to bond them, I’m concerned Molly is the dominant pig and so is Dorito in their separate pairs. I want to bond them on the basis I want to set up a big outside shed, insulated with a large multi storey cage and a tunnel that goes into an outside run connected to the shed, similar to a Zippi tunnel, so I can let them out together in the summer. Also because I feel a group may be nice for them too. Dorito and cinnamon are a larger breed than Molly and bubbles. Can this work? Any advice? I’ve never done it before and I’m conscious.

They live indoors and they can in the winter but I want to provide them all as much space as I can. If I can’t bond it’ll be 2 separate cages and less space for them slightly. You can’t really see the size difference but in comparison my long haired pair Dorito and cinnamon are almost double the size!

Attachments

• 84773E2F-CC36-4869-B557-A0A5D0951461.webp
    84773E2F-CC36-4869-B557-A0A5D0951461.webp
    75.8 KB · Views: 11
  • A5F92702-B3C3-438B-AE12-33B437B56C0F.webp
    A5F92702-B3C3-438B-AE12-33B437B56C0F.webp
    42.7 KB · Views: 11
  • BF00DD6E-16AA-48A3-A1E0-C29C1F7B9BDE.webp
    BF00DD6E-16AA-48A3-A1E0-C29C1F7B9BDE.webp
    43.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 492B9EDA-E226-4B01-9621-A64A06A4459F.webp
    492B9EDA-E226-4B01-9621-A64A06A4459F.webp
    46.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 4A04245B-60AF-4F76-A2FD-6477275C3148.webp
    4A04245B-60AF-4F76-A2FD-6477275C3148.webp
    83.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 794EF480-0F58-42DF-9C12-A26E65653B98.webp
    794EF480-0F58-42DF-9C12-A26E65653B98.webp
    67.9 KB · Views: 10
It comes entirely down to character. The problem with bonding two separate pairs is that one of the dominant sows is going go have to step down from being dominant and lose position - there is no telling as to whether they would be happy to do that. All you can do is try it and see whether it works.
If they can make it work, then their outdoor set up sounds lovely.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

It comes entirely down to character. The problem with bonding two separate pairs is that one of the dominant sows is going go have to step down from being dominant and lose position - there is no telling as to whether they would be happy to do that.
All you can do is try it and see whether the two dominant sows can work something out between them.
If they can make it work, then their outdoor set up sounds lovely.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Thank you! I’ll take a look at that. I have a guinea pig sanctuary nearby, do you think they’d help with bonding? They do boarding. I’m a bit scared as I wouldn’t even know where to start

Thank you! I’ll take a look at that. I have a guinea pig sanctuary nearby, do you think they’d help with bonding? They do boarding. I’m a bit scared as I wouldn’t even know where to start

You can ask but if you aren’t rehoming any piggies from them, they may not want to take their time to bond your own private piggies.

This is the step by step bonding guide which explains the neutral territory process
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

A few years ago I bonded 2 pairs of sows.
With forum support and the invaluable bonding guides I survived bonding day.
It was very stressful but successful.
It took about 2 weeks for the 2 middle sows to sort out their place in the herd.
Merab was unchallenged boss. Phoebe was too young to be anything except bottom pig.
Priscilla and Jemimah spent 2 weeks tussling, chin offs, fur pulling, an odd nip etc before they decided they were best friends and maintained a strong bond until Jemimah’s death.

Hope things work well for you.

A few years ago I bonded 2 pairs of sows.
With forum support and the invaluable bonding guides I survived bonding day.
It was very stressful but successful.
It took about 2 weeks for the 2 middle sows to sort out their place in the herd.
Merab was unchallenged boss. Phoebe was too young to be anything except bottom pig.
Priscilla and Jemimah spent 2 weeks tussling, chin offs, fur pulling, an odd nip etc before they decided they were best friends and maintained a strong bond until Jemimah’s death.

Hope things work well for you.
Thank you. I’m so sorry of Jemimah’s death. Can’t even comprehend now I have 4 of my own. Glad they were able to be friends before!
In terms of bonding how often did you put them together? I read you shouldn’t separate during times of certain dominance traits etc. did you introduce them daily or keep them together?

When you introduce, it needs to be all or nothing. So putting them in a neutral area and seeing it to its conclusion - whether good or bad. If you decide to bond them then you can’t separate them and keep going the next day. Interrupting it (by putting to bed separately) means they have to start again the next day. It can also be stressful for them.

Good luck and 🤞🏾 it works out ☺️

Thank you. I’m so sorry of Jemimah’s death. Can’t even comprehend now I have 4 of my own. Glad they were able to be friends before!
In terms of bonding how often did you put them together? I read you shouldn’t separate during times of certain dominance traits etc. did you introduce them daily or keep them together?
As @Siikibam said, bonding day was just one day.
I set up a child’s paddling pool lined with old towels and some hay, put the 4 piggies in and went to make the strong coffee needed to see me through the day.

I kept the forum guide on bonding open and the lovely @VickiA seemed to be around all day when I posted questions and needed reassurance.

Back