Bonded pair of 4.5 years suddenly hate each other!

littleloaf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My two females, 4.5 years of age, have been together since birth, and I've owned them since they were around 10 - 12 weeks old.
While there has always been minor incidents of squabbling and chasing, it's never been enough to make me concerned. There would be teeth chattering, nose pushing and wheeks when one of them has had enough, but this would normally last about a minute.

Unfortunately, one of them has decided to bully her sister for a full day now. It began with very loud teeth chattering, with a lot of bum wiggling, nipping the bum, moving slowly and hackles up. Now, it just appears as though Penelope is constantly out to make sure Matilda stays hidden in her cosy, too afraid to come out to eat. I have pondered separating, but I'm worried that could do more harm. I have checked over both piggies and I don't see any sign of injury. As I type this, they're both eating hay next to each other, so I keep switching between whether this is normal behaviour I need to monitor, or whether I should take action.

The other day, I collected these two from my parents' house as I was on holiday for a week. Their "holiday home" is significantly smaller than their normal home, and while I use their usual bedding, I feel this may have been a trigger for this sudden behaviour.

I'm just looking for some tips on what I need to do. Do I leave them be, place a barrier between the two, or separate them fully?

Thank-you, everyone! X

My two females, 4.5 years of age, have been together since birth, and I've owned them since they were around 10 - 12 weeks old.
While there has always been minor incidents of squabbling and chasing, it's never been enough to make me concerned. There would be teeth chattering, nose pushing and wheeks when one of them has had enough, but this would normally last about a minute.

Unfortunately, one of them has decided to bully her sister for a full day now. It began with very loud teeth chattering, with a lot of bum wiggling, nipping the bum, moving slowly and hackles up. Now, it just appears as though Penelope is constantly out to make sure Matilda stays hidden in her cosy, too afraid to come out to eat. I have pondered separating, but I'm worried that could do more harm. I have checked over both piggies and I don't see any sign of injury. As I type this, they're both eating hay next to each other, so I keep switching between whether this is normal behaviour I need to monitor, or whether I should take action.

The other day, I collected these two from my parents' house as I was on holiday for a week. Their "holiday home" is significantly smaller than their normal home, and while I use their usual bedding, I feel this may have been a trigger for this sudden behaviour.

I'm just looking for some tips on what I need to do. Do I leave them be, place a barrier between the two, or separate them fully?

Thank-you, everyone! X

Hi

Please have Penelope checked for ovarian cysts. 2-4 years are the time when hormonal ovarian cysts cause the most trouble although they can be active from an earlier age and into old age. The majority of cysts doesn't cause any physical symptoms (crusty nipples are by far the most common one).

I would recommend that you provide hides (huts or tunnels with two exits) so the other sow cannot be locked in. Also make sure that you have a second water bottle in a different place and that hay access cannot be blocked. Sprinkle feed veg and pellets around the cage. This is not enrichment stimulating their foraging instinct but it also cuts down on any food bullying when a cystic sow is throwing her weight around.

Here is more helpful information:

As was written above, ovarian cysts (or other medical problems) can cause a sudden change in behaviour.
The return from a smaller holiday cage can add to this situation. There was probably more stress between the two of them that has built up.

Give them as much space as possible and follow Wiebke's tips given above.
But also monitor them closely and do regular weight checks. If one of them is bullied by the other and isn't allowed to eat her share, you could see this in weight loss. Stress can also cause them to loose weight.

Since you've written that there was always some tension between your girls, additional stress maybe in combination with a medical problem (in either sow) could cause a fallout. I wouldn't seperate them yet but be prepared to act quickly if necessary.

It doesn't happen very often that adult sows fall out. But it can happen (been there twice, once it led to a permanent seperation, once only to a seperation for some time followed by a re-bonding). Hearing teeth chattering more often then once in a while between sows, isn't the best sign for their bond. It could mean that your girls have got a delicate bond to start with and any small(er) thing that adds to it, could be too much.

Good luck that the tension will decrease again.

If major tensions and dominance/bullying actions continue, then your next step is a two day separation with a divider in the cage, followed by a formal re-introduction on neutral ground outside the cage. If tensions flare up very quickly, the bond has failed.

Sows can fall out. I have had this happen with some of mine. It is just much rarer and doesn't involve bloody fights so it is often ignored. Very often ovarian cysts are at the bottom of it. Once a sow decides that another one (including litter sisters or daughters) is no longer a welcome part of the group she is leading (even if she is the only group member), you have had it. Sows are not going to change their mind for the several years.

Here is our advice for working out whether a bond is still viable or not in adult piggies of any gender combination: Bonds In Trouble

I hope that this is not the case.

I decided to use a divider after observing hours of Matilda being chased into hiding when trying to come out to eat or drink. The divider allowed them to still see and interact with each other without removing them from their pen.

Two days later I've decided to give them some floor time in a neutral space. It's fairly easy to keep them distracted with food, however once it's all gone Penelope decides to chase her sister again. There's some teeth chattering, *light* bum nipping and chasing. Food seems to calm them down pretty quickly.

I am fairly certain that for the longest time, it was Matilda that was always the dominant female. I'm just looking for advice on what the next step should be. I'm wondering if I should repeat this over the next few days, while keeping the divider in place?

I appreciate the advice, everyone!

Back