Bonded Pair Adopted With Single

CinnamonSpicedVanilla

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I have been considering adopting a bonded pair of female Guinea pigs (Both a year old) along with another single female (5 months old) whom they haven’t met before, would it be better to adopt the pair first and have just them together for a while before adopting and introducing another? Or would the chance of them getting along be better if I adopt closer together? I’ve had Guinea pigs before but they were always single and had a neighbor setup instead of living together, so I’ve never had a bonded pair or had to bond them. I’m worried there will be problems between them if I do try especially since it’s a new environment for everyone. What would be the wisest option?

Welcome to the forum

Any bond comes down to character compatibility so whether it will work depends on the piggies liking each other, and much less about timing of adopting them.

When attempting any bonding on spec you always need to have a plan in case it doesn’t work and that would be the potential for a piggy to have to live in a separate cage.

The guides below will explain much more about the bonding process.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Back