Bonded males testing dominance

tstrong

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi new guinea pig owner here. We got two males two weeks ago who are 6mo and 3mo. They were in foster care together prior to us getting them. They seem to get along in general but are still doing a lot of dominant behavior. I understand it is normal but thought since they have been together already it wouldn't take this long for them to re-establish dominance in their new environment. Is it normal? How long should we expect it to continue?

No bitting just butt wiggles, squeaks, sprays, butt rubbing and occasional chasing (I don't know if chasing is fun or dominance). They are in a 3x5 open top cage, fleece floor.

TIA

Welcome to the forum

It is very normal. Each time piggies go into a new territory or environment, it causes two weeks of reestablishing their hierarchy and relationship - this is even if they have always been together. In some pairs, even cleaning out the cage can be seen as new environment and set off dominance.

Add this together with the fact that you have the 6 month old at the height of hormone output and the 3 month old coming int the start of hormones, you are going to see a lot of dominance - and certainly over the next year or so (although dominance continues throughout life).

Reacting to group or territorial changes: Dominance and group establishment/re-establishment

You probably have several months of rumblestrutting etc to deal with yet. I have two boars who are just into adulthood and they have given me a few sleepless nights. I often referred back to the bonds in trouble thread for reassurance. I hope they get through it as a pair of well bonded boars is delightful to live with.

Back