• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Body cramps / spasms?

Elli

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My hairless guinea pig was crying so we picked him up for lap time. He’s been having little cramping episodes. At first he would whimper and cry, but now he is more calm during them, but they happen more frequently. About every 3 minutes now.
It’s been half an hour googling, trying to find out what’s happening. He enjoys lap time a lot, so it’s not adding extra stress.
Other than these episodes he seems fine. He eats, poops, drinks and even relaxes between cramps.

It’s Christmas so everything is completely closed, but he’ll be at the vet as soon as they open. In the mean time, does anyone know what’s going on?

Thank you so much. Beneath is a video of him having one of these episodes.

The video won’t upload so I’m trying in a comment.

My hairless guinea pig was crying so we picked him up for lap time. He’s been having little cramping episodes. At first he would whimper and cry, but now he is more calm during them, but they happen more frequently. About every 3 minutes now.
It’s been half an hour googling, trying to find out what’s happening. He enjoys lap time a lot, so it’s not adding extra stress.
Other than these episodes he seems fine. He eats, poops, drinks and even relaxes between cramps.

It’s Christmas so everything is completely closed, but he’ll be at the vet as soon as they open. In the mean time, does anyone know what’s going on?

Thank you so much. Beneath is a video of him having one of these episodes.

Hi and welcome

HUGS

I am very sorry; this is not the time of year for an emergency to happen.
Emergency and Crisis Care as well as Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

CBS (Calcified Bulla Syndrome) and Neurological Problems - Symptoms and Care (see chapter on neurological issues)
Digestive Disorders: Not Eating - Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement)
Signs of Pain in Guinea Pigs
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

We are not part of social media and our forum is running entirely on voluntary member donations, so we don't have a video uploading facility. You need to upload on a public setting in a place that does not require a member sign-in (youtube works best)

Sight unseen, I have linked in guide links for you that may possibly apply.

All you can do at the moment is to keep your boy warm (but not hot) and as comfy as possible. There is unfortunately not much else you can do.

My thoughts are with you and your poorly little boy.

Update:
We are just now arriving at the emergency vet. From googling more we think it is bloating and tried a gentle massage while finding a vet. Thank you so much for your help and kind words.🩷

Update again:
Our poor boy had to be put down. He was calm and happy in his last moments.
It turned it out that his stomach had somehow twisted itself, and gas was building up in one side. It was nothing but evil coincidence.
There was a surgery, but the survival rate is 50/50, even worse after, and it might just happen again. It would have worsened his quality of life. It would not have been in his best interest.

Here’s some pictures of him happy and content throughout his life🩷
IMG_8368.webp
IMG_7842.webp
IMG_8207.webpIMG_9969.webp
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.

So very sorry for your loss. You made the right decision for your boy, as it came from your heart. Sending you a big hug.

Popcorn free across the rainbow bridge little one.💕🌈🐾

I am so sorry you lost your beautiful boy, take heart he will have known just how much you cared and loved him, take care :hug:
Little tight little man 🌈

Update again:
It turned it out that his stomach had somehow twisted itself, and gas was building up in one side. It was nothing but evil coincidence.
There was a surgery, but the survival rate is 50/50, even worse after, and it might just happen again. It would have worsened his quality of life. It would not have been in his best interest.

View attachment 238165
View attachment 238164
View attachment 238163View attachment 238162

BIG HUGS
I am so so sorry.

A twisted gut is sadly one of those random freaky things that can happen to anybody out of the blue, whether that is human or guinea pig. Only that operating is generally not possible (or successful if undertaken) for guinea pigs with their much longer and thinner gut. :(

It is always a really horrible shock. Please be kind with yourself in the coming days. You have done your best in seeing a vet as soon as possible. That is all we can do and are asked to do because the is rest is totally out of our control. You have not failed him as an owner.

You can find more detailed helpful and practical information for yourself and any companions via this link here:
Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

Update again:

View attachment 238165
View attachment 238164
View attachment 238163View attachment 238162
I'm so sorry for your loss xx

Back