• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bob Has V Soft Watery Poos - Help Please!

• Thread starter Thread starter flm1977
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flm1977

I've googled and searched on here and thinking it is probably him being introduced to veggies (he's had some cucumber and some carrot and some cabbage) either that or something is wrong with him. From what I have read most things have said that with diarrhea or soft poos to look at what they have eaten, to leave out the veggies and keep an eye on them for a day or two on dried food and hay only.

I'm sorry to be asking so many questions, I just don't know what to do and don't want to do the wrong thing.

I have taken out veggies from his hutch today, he has plenty of hay and dried food and water. Should I be giving him anything else?

Read about diacalm? I have immodium? But no syringes in the house now :( But worried about giving him any medicine not prescribed by the vet incase I do the wrong thing and make him even more sick.

How will he get his vitamin C if he has no veggies?

I've washed his back paws, his tummy and his nose with cotton wool and water (all had bits of poo on them, where either sitting on it or trying to wash it off) (there was a clump of soft poos in the corner of the hutch). Some of his poos look normal though.

His bed is full of hay, is this ok for his bum or should he be on newspaper or something?

Am I right in thinking it's probably the new veggies and he'll be ok? The vets are open tomorrow with open surgery (just go and sit and wait first come first served basis) so won't have a problem getting him seen.

I kinda feel stupid here that I should know more about piggies before I got him :(

I would tend to avoid cabbage as that can often cause the runs. as can lettuce. when anyone buys a piggy from the shop i always avoid feeding them lettuce and cabbage.

My little by has just munched through a tomato, some carrot, some celery, a bit of red pepper a slice of cucumber and a raddish, this is what he has most days and he seems OK.

Amy.x. :smitten:

Sweetie, don't feel stupid, I bet everyone here freaked out when their pet first got ill. ((hugs for Fay))

Keep him off the veg as advised and make sure he has plenty of hay and water - but you already know this. Try not to worry about the vitamin C, if you take him to the vet first thing in the morning he can have an injection if he needs it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post too.

Ang x

For any gp with diarrheoa it is essential to give a rehydration powder.Dialyrite or similar is fine.Just make the fluid up as per instructions on the packet.Give little and often.

Immodium is safe.Give half a tablet crushed up in water or if you have capsules ,open it up and divide the powder into two halfs.

I note you say you have no syringes, so you will have to try and use a eggspoon or similar for the rehydration therapy.For the Immodium you could try putting the powder on a bit of cucumber or something that you know the p[ig is likely to eat.

Keep the piggy warm.

Ask your vet for some syringes for future use,or you can buy them on the internet.Syringes should always be in every piggy owners first aid box.

Get the piggy to a vet asap because he may need an antibiotic.

Don't apologize for asking questions, thats what this forum is here for so go ahead & ask as many questions as you need. ;)

It could be because he is not used to veggie but you are definitely doing the right thing by taking him to the vets in the morning. Keep him off the veg for now as has already been said. Your vet will give you afew syringes if you ask for them.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow, let us know how things go. O0

Thank you so much everyone :)

Checked on him a few times last night and all seemed well.
Woke up this morning thinking it will either be good or expecting the worst.
Thankfully, went straight to him this morning, one happy piggie, one clean and dry bum and no more watery poos in amongst his hay...so it must've been the new veg that did it. Had him out in the run this morning for half an hour which he really seemed to enjoy.

He's eaten plenty of hay and dried food.
Should I still try the diaralyte with him?
My house used to be full of syringes..my son had reflux...but once he was off his meds we threw them out, so know it's no probs to get some.

relief is not the word! He's been fine all day too. :)

What veg would be best to give him a little of first, I have: carrot, carrot tops (Fresh in the garden), corriander, celery, mint, basil, parsley, green pepper, celery, spinach and asparagus. I also have kiwis which I know is high in Vit C.

I have lettuce (not iceberg) and cucumber but know they are high in water so don't want to cause any more upset tums.
I was thinking of carrot just a little bit or maybe green pepper (if he likes it, John Anderson doesn't)

It's shopping day tomorrow so running low on veggies

Yes,carrot would dbe fine.I would give small amounts of said carrot,celery and cucumber.pepper, and kiwi for first 2 days.Then introduce the greener stuff,the herbs would be best first of all.

I would not give spinach at all because it is very strong and can cause problems with piggies with weaker digestive systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back