Boars Or Sows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Getting ready for piggies in mid-August and I was wondering what sex you like, boars or sows? I'm just wondering which one you prefer. What would really help me is a list of pros and cons of each, and after put your choice. Thank you so much everybody.

P.S. If you have boars, can you please post in my "Boar Cleanings?" thread? I need some advice on that in case I choose to get boars. Thanks!

Hi,

We personally don't have a preference with regard to sows or boars but generally the best interaction we witness with our lot is the neutered boar and his wifepigs. We also have the advantage that we have access to a wonderful rescue who previously have done all the hard work regarding bonding. All good reputable rescues do make sure that any piggies that you adopt from them are healthy and well bonded regardless of their gender mix.

Have a look at this great thread which will go a long way to explaining the dynamics of the various pairings and will hopefully help you decide which is the best for you.

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-sows-or-mixed-pairs-babies-or-adults.108944/

Unfortunately we don't know of any rescues in Vancouver but we will tag @Wiebke for you as she may know of one.

Lisa & Ali..

I guess the way I understand it is, for first time owners sows can be a better choice as they have less fall out issues, not that it can't happen, but it's less of a risk and it can be easier to bond a sow to a new sow if need be ( these can still be an issue with some sows) but in general it's easier with sows as I understand from what I have read. I have also read that sows have less of an odor to their urine.

Angela

I think that we have given you any recommended good standard rescue addresses in British Columbia before and that there aren't any piggy savvy rescues we know of near Vancouver, unfortunately. I think that Little Mischief Rescue may not longer be operational?
http://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations_canada.html (with permission from Guinea Lynx)
You could try petfinder and see whether there are any local shelters, but they may not be piggy savvy and not offer any quarantine or medical support for incoming animals.

Personally, I am a big fan of mixed gender couples and groups; they are the most stable of all bondings and often very loving if their bond is based on mutual liking. However, I don't know how many neutered boars there are in Vancouver and the operation itself hinges on finding a vet with a good track record in small animal operations to minimise the otherwise fairly high risk of post-op complications.

Unfortunately, without access to a safe rescue you will have to take either risk of having two boars falling out and needing to live next to each other or two sows being potentially pregnant if they are from a shop, breeder (good standard ones are sadly the minority) or a private source. :(

I have a 1neutered boar living with 2 sows. All are lovely their is no different between sexes. Its down to the individual pigs personality. The boar is laid back, 1 girl is is also laid back, 2nd girl stropy madame.

Sorry can't find your boar cleaning post. I do bottom washies the same as with sows. There is a thing on YouTube where a women sticks a Q tip into boars bits. DONT DO IT. It is not safe , not needed and it is barbaric.

Sorry can't find your boar cleaning post. I do bottom washies the same as with sows. There is a thing on YouTube where a women sticks a Q tip into boars bits. DONT DO IT. It is not safe , not needed and it is barbaric.

Thanks. Somehow my computer isn't working so I can't send you a link for my thread. I'll try again soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back