Boars or Sows and why?

PiggyLil28

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am not necessarily a new piggy owner but it's been a few years since my last pair passed and I'm finally ready to bring home some piggies again.

Over the last 2 decades I've had 3 different pairs of guinea pigs but they have always been sows. I was looking on my local rescues page and they have a pair of bonded sows but also a pair of bonded boars that I'm in love with. I've never owned boars and of course was led under the impression sows are easier/better but know now how untrue that is.

Just how different is keeping boars from keeping sows? I've gone through some great threads on here about the difference in care but I'd love hands on experience/stories.

The cage I have is a 2x5 c&c with availability of a lot of floor time too but the cage is in my living room so hearing all this about boars smelling worse and being messier than sows has me hesitant. Is it really THAT bad? Also the boys are listed as a bonded pair but they are only 6 months old.... Now obviously every piggy pair is different but is there an average or percentage or something of how common it is for a falling out once they hit that peak hormone age? This is another thing making me hesitant.

I appreciate all insight, advice and knowledge you can share

I’m a boar owner. My boys are now just over 4 years old. Boars are such characters, I love them and I don’t intend to have sows. I love the fact boars tend to mellow with age and become friendlier.

Boars have an undeserved reputation. They are fantastic but like any pair, sows included, they must be compatible to have a good relationship. It is the case that most boars pairs will be absolutely fine together if they have been properly matched - the same goes for any pairing though. An incompatible sow pair or boar/sow pair have as much chance of falling out as a boar pair do.

Boars are hormonal as teens, but that doesn’t mean they will fall out - if they like each other and want to be together, then they will get through it absolutely fine. As adults boars can also have the odd hormone spike, they don’t usually cause fall outs though.

Boars can be a bit more smelly as hormonal teenagers with raging testosterone, and they do scent mark but making sure you don’t overclean the cage can help - the more you clean things out, the more they will mark, the more it will smell.
My boys live in my shed ordinarily but come indoors every summer due to the heat - they are indoors right now, and all I can smell is the sweet smell of hay even when I first come into the room.

I have loved all the boars we have ever owned - they have so much character and personality.
The only guinea pig we have ever really had problems with was female (yes sweet Ruby, I am talking about you).

Every pig is different, so I would follow your heart and pick the pair that 'speaks' to you.

Just chiming in to say that sows can be messy too... they are also capable of spraying pee at a pain-in-the-butt cagemate... or the wall behind the cage! I've personally only had sows (no particular reason except my first pair was two girls because that's what the pet store closest to me was selling) and they have all had their own very unique personalities, anything from very laid back to very high strung. I say get the pair that feels right to you, I don't think there's an inherent "better" sex of pig to have.

My first were my boar pair. I was being directed to sows by someone because they said that they can fallout and fight etc. However, I fell in love with them when I saw them and the decision was made for me. My second a year later was a pair of sows. They all have different personalities and, as above, I don’t think it’s right to say one is better than the other. My rainbow girl Coco used to love a good scratch and snuggle. She and her friend were friendly (as much as they can be to a big predator). Chanel is now paired with a boar who is extremely skittish. Despite that he has a big personality and has renewed rumbling efforts. So you can have boars that aren’t particularly…easy. Also bear in mind that sows can also fall out.

After all that, I will say you should go for the pair that suits your circumstances and which you feel you are drawn to - whether boars or sows.

I love my boars Finn and Bear. They have totally different personalities and are pretty funny. They make me laugh 😂

Back