Boars hair pulling?

Chloe04

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Unsure whether this is medical or behaviour related! Skin doesn’t look sore or irritated, no rash or dry skin etc. So I’m assuming it’s behaviour related. Only Neo is having this issue, not Koji

Neo is a 2 year old boar, paired with Koji a 1 year old. The two have been together since July last year when Neos brother Sven passed away due to an internal abscess. The boys have always had a huge enclosure with lots of natural foraging/enrichment, hay piles and toys. I recently upgraded their cage about a month ago so unsure if this is related.

With Sven, Neo was the submissive pig very quiet and shy (I call him my responsible golden boy). When Koji came at 8 weeks, Neo became the dominant pig - the pair never had a fight or disagreement when bonding, very minimal or nipping and settled straight away. Koji is a very loud, very attitude-filled, bouncy adult.

I’ve gone in yesterday to find Neos back end missing quite a few patches of fur. Again going in this morning to find a few more patches pulled out on his sides.

Any advice? Am I just leaving them to it? My theory is it’s dominance related with Koji, and that Neo isn’t backing down.

Attachments

• IMG_2194.webp
    IMG_2194.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 1
You need to be certain there isn’t a medical reason first and foremost - parasites, pain and consequent self barbering etc

Otherwise - Is the hair being pulled out or is it being chewed off? If chewed off you will feel stubble.

If being chewed then this guide can help with reasons for barbering

Actually pulling it out and I would be keeping a very close eye on their bond.

You need to be certain there isn’t a medical reason first and foremost - parasites, pain and consequent self barbering etc

Otherwise - Is the hair being pulled out or is it being chewed off? If chewed off you will feel stubble.

If being chewed then this guide can help with reasons for barbering

Actually pulling it out and I would be keeping a very close eye on their bond.
Thank you, I’ll be keeping a very close eye on them both this week to see if I can determine the cause. It’s mostly patches of very short stubble but a couple bits that are bald (I’ll attach another photo).

I wasn’t sure if it was perhaps dominance from Koji now being an adult, or from them moving into a new enclosure perhaps? I’ll get them a vet check to be on the safe side for parasites, no itching redness soreness dry skin/flakes etc.IMG_2204.webpIMG_2205.webp

As you will see from the guide there are many causes of barbering so it’s about identifying which one it could be. Dominance barbering is certainly a possibility after health issues are ruled out (self barbering ie him eating/pullinf out his own hair)

Back