Boars, Grease Glands And Baths. Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissBubblegum

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my new arrivals have finally been sexed and it looks like I am getting 2 little boys!

So I read the "How to give a bath" sticky in this section' very helpful! But I wanted to know your opionions and reviews on different products for cleaning grease glands, how often you clean the gland, what shampoos you like, and how often you bath.

Also, I know you shouldn't bath piggiew under 3-4 months, but if the grease gland looks bad is it ok? And at what point do you go 'ok its first bath time'?

I did not bath my baby until she was two. If the grease glands are really that bad then a little bum bath should be okay. My Sophie has a very active grease gland and I use swafega for it. It is the best thing I have tried. I just bath her bottom when I see it is bad which is about three or four times a year.

my 2 boars have quite active grease glands. I wash their grease glands once a month using washing up liquid, and then Gorgeous Guineas shampoo afterwards. I also give them a full bath every 2 months using Gorgeous Guineas Kind & Gentle shampoo. Their coats look good and their skin is in good condition. I also clip their nails once a month.

Barney has a horrendously active grease gland made worse because his bottom half is white and so the fur around his grease gland ends up looking really black and dirty. Thankfully now he is out of his hormonal teens it is improving. I swear by swarfega - definitely the best thing for cutting through the grease. I have tried fairy liquid but it did not work as well. I give them a bum bath once a month and a full bath just when they are stinky!

It is easy. I rub swarfega onto the grease gland. Once its rubbed in I rinse it off.

I got mine from amazon. It is huge!
Sorry to ask me own question on this thread but I am also looking for stuff for my two piggies grease glands and was if this is the right one you got or at least the same type? I feel very wary of using something like this on my piggies as I worry it might go wrong. Bad worrier you see!
Hope it comes up thanks!

For the original thread question though I have used washing up liquid too but it never gets rid of enough it for me to be pleased with it :( but I use gorgeous guineas shampoo manuka and need one as it prevents some skin infections. :)

Sorry to ask me own question on this thread but I am also looking for stuff for my two piggies grease glands and was if this is the right one you got or at least the same type? I feel very wary of using something like this on my piggies as I worry it might go wrong. Bad worrier you see!
Hope it comes up thanks!

For the original thread question though I have used washing up liquid too but it never gets rid of enough it for me to be pleased with it :( but I use gorgeous guineas shampoo manuka and need one as it prevents some skin infections. :)
Yes that looks right. I understand how you feel as at first I felt it may be too harsh but its fine.

I did my two boys with swarfega yesterday. They always seem to quite enjoy it! Although they are short haired the fur on their bums goes all fluffy and wavy after!

I was a little worried too whe i read people using washing uo liquid which is why i asked here, it goes against what we are normally told that human products arent suitable for pets xD so wanted to make sure, and I had no idea what swarfega was! Who else uses gorgeiusguineas peoducts and what do you think? I quite fancy getting some

I've never bathed or cleaned a guinea pig in 11 years! I haven't had a boy until recently.

Just a little thought........I am a little concerned about this regular washing of grease glands, especially using washing up liquid, which is a quite aggressive degreaser. I kept free range girls in a covered out door run for years. One or two got a bath, when they needed it. But, going on the thinking that the more you wash, the more grease will be produced. Like taking indigestion remedies, it just make you more prone to the problem, as your stomach produces more acid, to replace what is being suppressed. Therefore isn't it Balance is what is required? Should this not be the case with piggies grease glands? Would not just a gentle shampoo only when needed be a better action. It may take longer, but is less harsh, and may be more balanced. We uses washing up liquid in the 1970's to wash our hair, no one would dream of using it now days, ( unless you know different! ) as it strips everything and the grease glands in the scalp goes into huge over drive.

Thanks @Toffee thats the kind of response I was scared off :S So goegeous guineas shampoo, and just alittle elbow grease lol, thanks! Wow I am nervous about getting my boys now.

Agree with Toffee - that regular cleaning encourages more production! I only fully bathe my pigs if they have a fungal issue.
I will wash their back ends if they have urinary issues (one of my oldies is little incontinent). Having a lot of boar guinea pigs through the years, I now tend to leave grease glands alone but if highly productive I will gently pick it off with a fingernail, and only use fairy liquid or swrfega as a very last resort.

Thanks @Toffee thats the kind of response I was scared off :S So goegeous guineas shampoo, and just alittle elbow grease lol, thanks! Wow I am nervous about getting my boys now.
Don't be nervous. I got 3 boys last week, you can always ask a vet what they recommend, but I have kept guineas for years, admittedly mainly girls, but I have never touch a grease gland. Grease glands are there for a reason, nature should find the balance, it is only when we interfere, we create more problems. If there is a problem, take advice from a vet.

Yeah thats a good explanation. I think I will just leave getting and Guinea Pig Beauty Products (lol) until I have had them for a while and see what they are like, because maybe they won't have very active grease glands and I'm just worrying for no reason XD

Yes that could be the case. I understand you are just being cautious. It shows what a wonderful owner you will be.

I never even heard of the gland until I joined this forum a few months ago! Just having my first boy, when I first felt his, I thought he had a lump!

So I've never needed to do anything to mine previously.

In 25 years of owning guinea pigs, I have never had a grease gland become infected. I would not interfere unless there was a problem. The more you use a degreaser, the more grease would be produced. Swarfega would probably be better than washing up liquid, as swarfega is designed for cleaning hands, washing up liquid is designed to be diluted and wash dishes.

I did state I only clean Sophies grease gland when needed which is three to four times a month. Cleaning it never makes it produce more grease. It has to be done sometimes. I cannot leave her dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back