boars fighting

kinderedspirits

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi,

6 months ago we got two male guinea pigs, they were bonded and happy together the whole time. unfortunately though we recently lost one of them, leaving whiskers to be a single 9/10 month old

so, we got a new young male who is about 12 weeks old. today we tried to introduce them and it did not go well. they fought both times they saw each other (we tried again in a more neutral area than the first time). whiskers had lots of teeth chattering and looked like he would have lunged and fought the baby again if we had not separated them.

no blood was drawn but it was clear they were not happy, altho they were only together for a few minutes - we separated them not wanting to risk one being injured.

i just wondered if someone could offer some advice on what the next best step is?

thank you!

I'm sorry for your loss and I’m sorry to hear the new bonding didn’t work.

Bonding teenage boars does come with its challenges and such an acrimonious encounter straight off indicates that they won’t accept each other and aren’t compatible. They will need to live separately but side by side so they can interact through the bars only. This will be enough to provide communication and companionship but they still get their own territory.

I have a bonded pair and a separated pair myself.

Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Back