Boars fighting unexplained

newgunieapigowner

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My boars always been nice to one another since I got them week ago or so but I went go feed them today sat in there cage they was puuring wiggling there bums stopped once I got out left some food then saw them sniffing each others bums and turning back one another to swipe (but dint ) idk what to do or if it’s normal I never had this happen before pls help

May I ask how old they are? And had you noticed any purring before now? Was there any chasing or mounting at all? And how big is there cage?

Whenever they move to new surroundings, there is a two week time period where they have to re-establish the hierarchy and their relationship. You’re just a week into this so hopefully that’s all it is.

May I ask how old they are? And had you noticed any purring before now? Was there any chasing or mounting at all? And how big is there cage?

Whenever they move to new surroundings, there is a two week time period where they have to re-establish the hierarchy and their relationship. You’re just a week into this so hopefully that’s all it is.
I’m not sure how old they are the guy never told me . He said they was young. They have poured before but nothing like this , they was just walking around me and wiggling / sniffing there bums and one turned round looked at other kinda mad . I thought might be crazy say cause I’m female they can smell it but I know nothing what Guniea pigs can think or react to humans and smells . Their cage is pretty big fills most my room they spend most time in their hut unless wanting to eat and drink they stay sitting together all the time . It just baffled me

The first thing is to be clear that purring and wiggling their bums (called rumblestrutting), mounting, chasing and bum sniffing is not fighting. That is normal dominance.
An actual fight is unmistakable. There will be a rolling around furball of two piggies. Do not put your unprotected hands in the middle of piggies fighting like this. You will get hurt.

A new environment ie bringing them to your home will cause them to reestablish their relationship. This takes around two weeks. During this time you will an increase in dominance while they do this. In a well bonded and compatible pair this will amount to nothing more than dominance and they will settle down.
In an unstable pair, the change in environment can bring problems out.

You will also see an increase in dominance during their teens (4-14 months of age). Again, in a compatible pair it will not amount to anything.

The reality with boars is that you will see dominance behaviours in compatible boar pairs throughout their whole lives (they tend to mellow on old age though as testosterone fizzles out), it’s how they cement their relationship.

However in a pair who are not or who turn out not to be compatible (as can happen at any point particularly during their teens), then the dominance will become intense as one of the boars refuses to back down and can result in fighting. For a pair to work one needs to be dominant and one needs to be submissive. If they both want to be dominant then this is when a bond will break down and fighting occur.
If a fight happens the pair will need to be permanently separated and live side by side.

They are not reacting because you are female.

It would be helpful if you could tell us the measurements of the cage. Space really is important to a boar pair.
Do you have multiple hides?
Do all the hides have two doors in them?
Do you have multiple hay piles, water bottles etc?

Please do read the guides below. They detail boar pair behaviour

Bonds In Trouble
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

That’s good, so there is no space issue which is always one of the first things we rule out when it comes to boars!
It does sound as if it is just dominance at this point but you always need to keep an eye on things particularly if they are young as things can change

You may find that your two boys will have the odd flair up (24 hours or less) every so often, these are hormone spikes which teenage boys sometimes suffer. They tend to settle down as quickly as they arrive.

Back