• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Boars fighting, Bailey got bit!

• Thread starter Thread starter TheGaffer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheGaffer

Hi,

I've posted about Bailey and Gus before, they've been squabbling for weeks and weeks now, and finally tonight they had a big fight and Gus has bit Bailey on his leg!

It bled a bit, but it doesn't look like a big wound, its about 3 mm-ish. He's eating, drinking, pooping and weeing, but he's been a bit more skittish when we've picked him up.

So, I've put a divider in the cage for now. And I'm going to crack on building their c+c cage.

Do you think that thats it for these 2 or will I ever get them back together?

IF you are going to keep trying do it slowly, e.g. only put then together when you are next to them, see how it goes. But to be honest it sounds like its not going to work and they are getting very stressed out.

It's usually said that once blood has been drawn between 2 piggies, whatever sex, that this is the end of their friendship.
2 of my boars have had a fight this week but they don't live together, just graze together but they won't be grazing together again.

I personally wouldn't try to re-bond Bailey & Gus but that decision is ultimately yours. :)

ok thanks,

Do you think they'll be happy seeing each other through the bars, or is this still likely to upset them if they've fallen out?

Sorry for the stupid questions :embarassed:

I haven't experienced this but from what i've heard they should be fine seeing eachother through the bars, a lot of people even say their pigs cuddle up by the divider and as soon as it's removed they fight! Strange but the pigs must just like their own space! Best of luck whatever you do!
Love Emma x

My pigs used to live separated by a grid wall because they fought. They were fine, used to lie next to each other and everything. I found they were a bit lonely and bored during run time. They didn't explore as much so I got them both friends.

TheGaffer said:
ok thanks,

Do you think they'll be happy seeing each other through the bars, or is this still likely to upset them if they've fallen out?

Sorry for the stupid questions :embarassed:

I have 5 intact boys; 2 live side by side separated by mesh & are very happy. Then i have 1 boy who lives next to a pair of boys, this is a relatively new arrangement after my single boys neighbour went to the bridge but they all seem happy & regularly chat/rumble at each other thru' the mesh :)

I have two pairs of boys and two sep boys. The sep ones have been tried with my others boars and blood has been drawn. Its the luck of the draw I think. I initially tried Skip with Jeff and there were initially fine, until out in their run one day Jeff bit Skip and blood was drawn. Percy had been with Sid and they too fought and after a nasty bite from Percy, I separated this pair too. However, after a few weeks I tried Skip and Sid. They now live together and get on like a house on fire. The other two live separately, but they have lots of cuddles and time in their run so they can see the others. I personally wouldn't try them again. What age are they? A lot on here have success with older boars and younger boars - but again, its the luck of the draw and depends on the personality of the piggies. You could always go down the neutering route and get them a girl friend ;D ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back