Boars: Dominance or Bullying?

The Lorax

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm a newbie here and could use your help. First, the back story: a year ago, my family adopted four boars from a rescue center, which (I know now from reading this forum is a NO), and also they did not give me any useful information, at all, about anything. Since then, I've tried to read all I can and my family loves these piggies as best we can. They were about 4 months old when we adopted them and are now about 15 and a half months. At the time we adopted them, I didn't know the difference between dominance and bullying, and one piggy was being terrorized. Blood was drawn and I didn't know how serious this was. I thought him jumping up on high places was just him being acrobatic. I didn't know that all the noise they made running around after him was not just guinea pigs being guinea pigs. I read a lot of information but was clearly in the wrong places. A few days before New Year's Day this year, this one piggy was clearly not doing well. We took him to urgent care, where the vet told us that he'd been terrorized -- bitten so much and probably had pneumonia because his immune system was so stressed. He died on New Year's Day morning after receiving oxygen and being syringe fed. I assure you, I have been gutted by this whole experience and cannot believe that this little creature under my care was so horribly mistreated. I found out too late the extremely hard way and even as I write this, am crying.

So now I have the three other boars. Since the one piggy died, they have been so quiet (like not running around the cage at each other and crashing into things). There is a new hierarchy that is clear. They have what I believe is a sufficient amount of space -- 2 4 x 2 C and C cages and those connect to a larger square pen. #1 (the most dominant) and #2 piggy are always together -- sleeping, following each other around, etc. They get into it, but there is no blood. They don't actually ever fight in the way you describe on the forum -- like no actual rolling around and such. More just rumble strutting, but I do see the occasional tuft of fur on the bedding. #3 is clearly on the outs and my main issue is that I cannot figure out if he is stressed like the other piggy was or if this is just dominance and this is the deal. They are all around the same weight -- about 95.25 kg. All 3 are eating, drinking, etc, but the #3 piggy will get chased away from the hay area or his chosen sleeping area. Today I saw #1 piggy try to nip at him as he went by. And then today I also saw him jump on top of a Pigloo twice and that just stressed me out so much because that's what the #4 piggy used to do when he was trying to get away from the other piggies. But then I will also see all three of them in the same hay box together eating smoothly. I know from reading the forum that it is very unlikely 3 boars will get on together for life. I just don't know if my piggies are fine or if they need separation. #1 and #2 will popcorn around and I can't remember the last time I saw #3 do that. I will just lose sleep and sit there watching them rather than risk what happened before again. Here is what I could specific help with:

1) I know your recommendation is to have two water bottles, two hay areas. Does this mean like on opposite sides of my enclosure or is two bottles and two hay boxes in the same area sufficient?

2) I started spreading the veggies around the cage instead of in one bowl (although they all come eat at the bowl just fine). Would you recommend I keep doing this?

3) Any thoughts at all on whether this sounds like normal dominance or does it sound like something more?

4) I know blood being drawn is a clear sign for needing separation; what about fur pulling?

Thank you for any advice,

Lorax

I'm so sorry to hear this happened. A rescue should have known better and never let you have four adolescent boars. This isn’t your fault.

The fact they have come through the teens and are still together without a major fight is good but whether there is an underlying tension is something you do need to look into.

As you know three boars are highly unstable - some will make it, most won’t.
However, any trio (even a trio of sows or mixed sex (one boar and two sows)) can also be unstable simply because of the odd number - two get close, one gets left out.

We would suggest that you trial a separation and see if they are happier apart.
The test is then when you try to reunite them in neutral territory after a few days apart. If they don’t go back together then that shows that they are happier to be apart - #1 and #2 may not let #3 back with them.

Bonds In Trouble

As you have three boars, the recommendation is two of everything, it is actually three of everything - you need as many resources as there are piggies. Items should be at least one body length to apart but for hay areas I absolutely would put them in spread around the cage (for three boars I’d personally put four or five hay areas). I have three hay areas for my boar pairs.

Absolutely continue to scatter feed veg anyway. It’s not just that it prevents food hogging, it is also a fantastic form of enrichment. Eating at a bowl is a mindless activity and over in moments whereas foraging for food and using their natural abilities keeps them busy - they naturally spend a lot of their day foraging.

Welcome to the forum, I agree with the advice above. As someone who has recently separated boars, I have witnessed that the change in the pig who is struggling can be very obvious. In my case it's the dominant boy who seems much happier and definitely is more relaxed now he's not being challenged by his boisterous companion.

So very sorry for your loss.
It wasn’t your fault - the rescue really should have given you proper information.
@Piggies&buns has given you some excellent information
I hope things work out well for your 3 boys

Thank you everyone for the advice and the validation. I really appreciate it. Upon seeing #1 nip at #3 this morning, I've done as suggested and separated the boys this morning, more hay, more water, more everything! Immediately, #3 piggy started chewing on the bars (is still chewing on the bars) and #2 and #1 raced up and down the separation grids as they realized they did not have access as they usually do. Then #2 started chewing on the bars from the other side. Is chewing on the bars some miracle sign that they are horrified to be separated and I should put them back together? I assume not. I'm guessing I just need to tolerate the chewing.

In gratitude,

Feliza

Thank you everyone for the advice and the validation. I really appreciate it. Upon seeing #1 nip at #3 this morning, I've done as suggested and separated the boys this morning, more hay, more water, more everything! Immediately, #3 piggy started chewing on the bars (is still chewing on the bars) and #2 and #1 raced up and down the separation grids as they realized they did not have access as they usually do. Then #2 started chewing on the bars from the other side. Is chewing on the bars some miracle sign that they are horrified to be separated and I should put them back together? I assume not. I'm guessing I just need to tolerate the chewing.

In gratitude,

Feliza

No it’s not a sign they want to be together. It is territorial behaviour and adjustment to the new arrangement.
Laying against the bars on either side is also not a friendly sign - it’s called a power lie in and is territory marking.

(I have separated boars. I had two separate pairs. The youngest pair fought and had to be separated 20 months ago. Bringing me to a pair and two singles. Then one of the eldest pair died back in March. Bringing me to three singles. I bonded the remaining older one with one of the younger ones. The younger one who remains single is a bar chewer but it’s only when there has been disruption ie they’ve gone out to the run for the day and then he chews the bars for a while when brought back in)

Good to know. Last night #1 and #3 separated piggy laid down on opposite sides of the bars but just inches from each other, both with their heads down completely. It was just for a minute but I couldn’t believe it. Calmest they have been around each other.

Questions for reuniting:

1) Is three days sufficient for separation trial?
2) What is neutral ground exactly? I have an old cage that is around 5 x 2 from
The pet store when I didn’t know what I was doing. Would this suffice? Or too small?
3) Is there anything in there (hides, food, etc)?
4) What am I looking for to determine ok to reunite or keep separate?

Thank you! 🙏🏽

I can certainly answer your questions about reuniting but the fact you’ve said they are calmer apart and that you have seen a power lie in, would lead me to say that I probably wouldn’t attempt to reunite them and would instead call their bond over now and make the separation permanent.

If you still would like to try to reunite them:

Neutral territory is somewhere nobody sees as their normal space.

I would give them plenty of room. If you mean a 5x2 c&c then I’d personally rather see them with a bit more room but it might do. Ordinarily a 5x2 c&c is only big enough for two boars. Attempting a boar trio you’re looking more at needing a 9 or 10x3 c&c.
If you mean 5 by 2 feet then I’d not use it for bonding.

No hides when bonding. Just hay in the bonding pen. If you add hides they create territories which can then cause problems.

Boars are very up front about their feelings. Id they don’t like each other and dont want to be back together, you will see loud teeth chattering, circling each other, hair standing on end and most likely a full rolling around furball fight. This is immediate and permanent separation. Do not put your bare hands in between them if they fight - use oven or thick gloves to protect your hands. Use a towel to separate them.

Ok the great reuniting experiment has happened. I put in #1 and #3 piggies first and stayed on high alert. They came right up to each other and paused an inch away from each others faces with a lot of chittering (I don’t know if that is the right word but it’s like a vibrating chattering sound). And it was rather intense and then they followed each other around (both #1 following #3 and vice versa). But no actual physical contact. Then they would eat. Then pause and chitter and rumble strut and their fur was all on end. #3 was far more confident and dominant than I have seen him in a long time. I was so surprised (he used to look like this when I had 4 piggies).

When I felt I could, I put #2 piggy in - after a few minutes. Perhaps this was a mistake and they should have all gone in together. When he went in #1 started mounting him and exhibiting more dominating behaviors than he ever does with #2.

All of a sudden the vibe got more intense with all 3 when #2 showed up.

I took some video but too large to attach here.

Thoughts? Keep them separated in the same combo I had before with number 1 and 2 together and 3 apart? I don’t know how to interpret what I saw.

I am not one of the most experienced members, but you need an answer to get you through the night at least. I would revert back to previous combination and keep an eye on them.

Yes they should all have gone in at the same time but actually it doesn’t sound like things are going to work out anyway.

If you could tell they were tense, then yes, I would call it a failure and put them back into the pair they were and keep the other one single.

Ok thank you so much. I’ve left them in their separated state. The one piggie seems so sad! If I let him run around outside of the enclosure he goes to where the other piggies are and chews on their bars. Seems like he really wants to get in there. Parenting is so hard sometimes! But I am so reassured that he won’t be attacked.

Really appreciate the advice here.

Back