Boars bonding?

Popcorn23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello againšŸ˜‚
So my boars have been back together for a week since a fight (vet advised) for the most part they have been okay and are absolutely fine in their run. But in there cage 40% of the time they are getting in eachothers face , lunging and teeth chattering its usually over in a few seconds and then they start eating hay etc i attached a photo of them sleeping together is this a good sign? If not i am thinking of separating them and getting sows for them?
I just need advice whether i keep going as they as its like eggshells constantly watching incase they bite eachother.
They spend most of the day sleeping in separate areas I'm not sure if thats the heat? But if i fluff up there hay and put veggies in they do like to forage . They have toys so not sure why they are ā€œboredā€ but they get time in the run a day and no lunging or teeth chattering in there.
Sorry for the long message
Xx

Attachments

• IMG_9706.webp
    IMG_9706.webp
    142.3 KB · Views: 5
How big is the cage?

Have a look at this guide and see where you would put the behaviours you are seeing. If it is in the green section, then they are ok. Anything else is on its way to concerning.

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Separating, neutering and then the six week wait and then bonding with a sow each is certainly an option.

How big is the cage?

Have a look at this guide and see where you would put the behaviours you are seeing. If it is in the green section, then they are ok. Anything else is on its way to concerning.

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Separating, neutering and then the six week wait and then bonding with a sow each is certainly an option.
The cage is a 2X4 c&c i mean most of their behavior is green/orange but they are in their stroppy teenage age at the moment. As of right now they are sleeping away from eachother and not getting at eachother how long should i leave it if its a test of dominance?

The cage is a 2X4 c&c i mean most of their behavior is green/orange but they are in their stroppy teenage age at the moment. As of right now they are sleeping away from eachother and not getting at eachother how long should i leave it if its a test of dominance?

The thing is, all we can really do is provide the guidance and the rest of it comes down to what you are seeing and you then need to make the decision. You are going to see dominance particularly as teens.

Sometimes a scuffle can occur for a reason which isnā€™t bond breaking and they are ok going forward, but an actual fight is not usually something a bond recovers from. The fact your two went back together at all after a fight is unusual and means they may like each other and are trying to form a hierarchy, but it could be they go into the canā€™t live together, canā€™t live apart category (which usually means they do need to be separated eventually).

The ideal side for a boar pair is a 2x5. A 2x4 is minimum size so technically ok but space is a big factor for boars.
My pair, Dexter and Popcorn, were originally in a 2x4 size as youngsters but it was obvious they needed more room. They went into a bigger space and were almost instantly calmer. They never had a fight and are still together now 5 years later but they really benefited from that extra room.
Even as stroppy teenagers their behaviour rarely got to orange.
My other two youngsters (Wilbur and Hugo) suddenly went full on, ball rolling around fight with minor wounds. They will never be reunited as itā€™s obvious they canā€™t form a hierarchy and will just fight again, itā€™s not worth the risk.

I hope itā€™s just normal teenage months and they settle down as they get older šŸ¤žšŸ»

Back